Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    I had surgery for spinal stenosis in 2004 then in 2007 i had surgery for a ruptured disk, since then i have been experienceing upper back pain, this past year the pain is so bad i had to stop working, The pain feels like its my entire back and when you touch or push on my back it feels like a bad bruise, i have pain in both arms right down from underarms, i have been getting these terrible headaches to where i take 4 advil migrain a day.It hurts to move my neck it hurts to sit stand or even lay. my dr. said is myofacsial pain and my muscles are tight as a rubber band. This pain is so unbearable it is really bad when i first wake up i feel like i had been hit by a truck as the day goes on it feels like maybe someone weighing 500lbs is sitting on my shoulders causeing my entire back to hurt. had mri's on both neck and back and dr said nothing is wrong, this pain is real and its so painful but no one can tell me what it is, i have tried pain meds, muscle relaxers and numerous medications that have not helped, I feel like there is no hope and iam 39yrs old with no means of ever living a normal life. Please help me diagnose myself so i can get some answers and some help.. Thnak You.
    davedsel57 responded:

    I am sorry to read of your pain but fully understand.

    Diagnosing yourself is a very bad idea and could prove to be very dangerous. We are not allowed to give any medical advice or diagnose in any WebMD community. It is impossible to diagnose or treat symptoms over an internet message board.

    Please read through this Tip that is at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community:
    You need to put the effort in to find a spine specialist that will help you. Find a good spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon. Get a new set of MRI's. Then, the specialist will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis and suggest treatment plans that will work.

    I pray you find answers and relief soon.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


    bj1208 responded:
    HI lookingforhope - welcome to the support group -

    As always Dave gave you great info to research etc in this TIP post labeled: Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated.

    I would like to add that sometimes we must go from one doc to another before we can find the right one that will listen and order proper tests etc.,

    I would like to ask what type of surgery did you have for the ruptured disc? did/do you have good faith in this doctor to be able to see him again about your back pains?

    Who are you seeing now where they stated you may have myofacsial pain? Did this doctor prescribe any physical therapy/chiropractic treatments? Injections?

    If you are not on good terms with ur surgeon it may be a good idea to get a couple of opinions from both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. this way you will know what is going on and what treatment options are available.

    Seeing a good pain management specialist can help too - I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist

    they go deeper into pain management than regular pain clinics offering a variety of different treatments based on patients' needs.

    If you need to find a good spine specialist they can help you with that as they do have both Ortho and Neuro spine specialist they work with.

    Please keep us posted what you find out
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center