Skip to content
Lower back pain after laying down
Mcslave_12 posted:
Hi, my name is Nohemi and I'm 19. I was having some issues, but I dont have health insurance, so I cant go see a doctor. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone could help me.

I get this very sharp, strong pain in my lower spine whenever I lay down flat either on my back or stomach. I would say its an 8 on a 1-10 scale. The weird thing is that it doesnt happen while I'm laying down, but when I move to get back up. Also, it doesnt happen in the morning after I sleep, only if I lay down for a short period of time. The pain only lasts until I'm fully up and walking around again. I've tried doing a stretch and laying down, but I get the same result. It's probably important to note that I'm about 35 lbs overweight, have never had any kind of surgery and have a naturally large back side.

Like I said, I cant go see a doctor, so I would really appreciate anyone who could tell me what I ca. Do to reduce this pain. Thanks, Nohemi

davedsel57 responded:
Hello Nohemi. I am sorry to read of your back pain. I fully understand.

You will ultimately need to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment. Look for a free or low-cost clinic in your area and start there. If the pain is intense and seems to be an emergency, go to the emergency room of a local hospital. They must treat you regardless of ability to pay. Work towards losing the extra weight as it does matter. You can try OTC pain medications like Tylenol or Advil, but be very careful you do not exceed the daily recommended doses. You can try applying ice and/or heat 20 minutes on/20 minutes off.

We can not diagnose or treat you over an internet message board. I hope you can find a doctor you can afford and get the treatment and relief you need soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Hi Nohemi - welcome to the support group -

There could be numerous reasons this is happening and you should get this checked out.

Dave has given you great info, as always. I just wanted to add that big university hospitals offer free and/or reduced treatment plans for those that do not have insurance. and they have more treatment options being a teaching hospital.

So please check into that -

also when sleeping even for short periods of time, use extra pillows under you knees when sleeping on your back and between your knees when sleeping on your sides. this will help keep your spine more straight and should help with the pains. DO NOT sleep on your stomach as this causes more pressure on the spine and will cause more pains.

Hope this helps - please keep us posted what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center