Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Chronic back pain
    canttakethepain posted:
    I have always had a small amount of back pain, but within the past 2-3 years, it has become unbearable. I already have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and some sort of spine disease. If I stand for more than 15 mins, I have severe burning pain through my entire spine. Sometimes when I go to sit down my whole spine throbs so bad it makes my face grimace, the pain is terrible. Walking is also intolerable, my legs hurt, my feet and ankles hurt so bad I have to sit down most of the time. If I drive I have a severe pain that runs down the back of my lower thigh. My neck also hurts all the time, as well as burning pain between my shoulder blades. I was on medicaid but was thrown off of it because my son turned 18 so I'm not eligible anymore, the Indiana HIP program is 2-3 years backed up, so I'm on an extensive waiting list. I was turned down for Social Security Disability, so I don't know what to do. I am at my wits end with the chronic severe pain and honestly don't want to deal with life as it is now. With the pain in my hands from the arthritis and my aching shoulders from the fibro, and of course the back issues I'm ready to throw in the towel. I'm starting to think the only thing left I can do for my spine is stem cell therapy to regenerate the tissues, but I can't afford that either!! Why isn't Obama care helping people in my situation?!?
    davedsel57 responded:

    I'm sorry to read about all you are going through. I fully understand.

    Did you contract an attorney to apply for SSD for you? If not, then do so. That is your best change of getting approved. If you did use a SSD attorney, did they appeal the decision?
    I would encourage you to apply again after contracting a good (or different) SSD attorney.

    Are you seeing a spine specialist such as a spinal orthopedic surgeon or a spinal neurosurgeon? Those are the best specialist to see for spine problems.

    I pray you can get all this worked out and get the relief you need soon.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


    bj1208 responded:
    Hi Canttakethepain - welcome to the support group

    I was wondering why you were thrown off Medicaid because your son turned 18? I know that Medicaid coverage differs in each state but it seems extreme that they turned you down. Visit WWW.MEDICAID.GOV and go thru the requirements for your state and see what it shows. there may be something that was missed.

    I am attaching a website on Facts for ObamaCare - there's a lot to read so take your time.

    If not having insurance coverage at this time is keeping you from getting treatments see if there is a big university hospital near you - they offer either free and/or reduced fees for those that do not have insurance.

    Dave gave you great info, as always, about seeking either a Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist as they are the only ones that can read film reports, properly diagnose and offer best treatment options.

    Also seeing a good pain specialist is vital too. I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist as they go deeper into the chronic pains and treat from there and not just the symptoms.

    Hopefully you can get properly diagnosed and a treatment plan started soon. please keep us posted~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center