Skip to content
Not Sure Where to Turn
yoyoming posted:
My 85 year old father has had severe back pain for many years. He hhas had 5 lower lumbar surgeries. He has been through non-invasive techniques, epidural and sacroiliac steroid injections on numerous occassions, radio frequency ablations courses twice and has had a TENS unit implanted. At this point, his spine is full of scar tissue, arthritis in several areas. His last surgery was February 2012 and he started to improve after that. However, now he is going downhill again rapidly. He is in serious pain, can barely walk a few paces with a walker and exhibiting symptoms of neural claudication. He is currently taking 15 mg. of MS Contin twice a day and Percocet every 4 hours during the day. During the last year I have taken him to see three different neurosurgeons, a nuerologist, two pain control specialists along with his primary care physician. No one has helped him. I don't know what to do now. Is there nothing but a level of morphine that will render him unable to do anything? Are there morphine pump or pain patches that could be options without so many mental side effects? Can anyone help?
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

first - it's great you are helping your father. he has had a lot he last couple of years.

second - I would get opinions from both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - maybe see if there is a big university hospital nearby as they would have all the newest diagnostic equipment and treatment options. Be sure to take all records and write down any questions you have as they will be the ones to answer them

third - be sure he is seeing a good pain management specialist. I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain doctor.

they go deeper into pain management control more so than regular pain clinics.

there are pain pump implants where the pain meds are injected into the pain area at a controlled process and may benefit your father more. pain patches do come with some warnings and must be done properly to avoid complications.

hope this helps - please keep us posted as to what you find out
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center