Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Spouse of Chronic Back Pain
    An_249543 posted:
    I never ever post on sites but I'm really in need of some advice. My husband has chronic lower back pain and now mid back pain. He has been in pain for about 3 years now. We've done the MRI, we've had injections, we've seen an orthopaedic surgeon, and done physical therapy and acupuncture. He can't seem to find help anywhere. He cannot sit for longer than 30 minutes without having ice on his back (we probably have 20 ice packs in our fridge to keep him covered throughout the day). To his credit he continues to work (his company bought him a stand up desk to work on). His pain started gradually and then came to the point where it was severe. The MRI did not show anything was wrong - he is increasing becoming depressed and feels like there is no end to his pain in sight. He's on pain meds but wants to resolve this and not just live with it. I'm at a loss because no one wants to seem to "fix" the issue. He wants to do another MRI but I'm really concerned it will result in another "everything is normal" which would devastate him - he knows something is wrong. What do I do here? Do I be supportive of another MRI? After reading so many of these stories I'm really concerned he'll just end up in a deeper depression. Any advice really is helpful!
    davedsel57 responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    I am sorry to read that your husband is going through all this. I fully understand.

    An opinion from another spine specialist and a fresh MRI would definitely be warranted. Make sure the spine specialist is a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon. Your first step would be to get an appointment with that specialist who may want a new MRI.

    Keep doing your research. Here is a Tip that will help you understand the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain plus gives links to websites having good information on this subject:

    I pray your husband gets the answers and relief he needs soon.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


    trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
    I agree with Dave and would add perhaps that he reads a book called Pain, the Science of Suffering. By Dr. Patrick Wall.
    It explains why and how pain exists. It helped me realize that my doctors weren't hiding the answer from me, it's just that sometimes the answer is complicated. Spinal disease involves more than the spine.

    God blesss you for caring.


    Helpful Tips

    Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
    Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    226 of 343 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center