Skip to content
SSDI for depentdnent children 18-22 attending university?
trs1960 posted:
Does any one know if dependants lose their bemefits at 18, or do they extend that for students attending unversity?

Tim

dianer01 responded:
I don't believe so. At one time ss benefits did apply to dependent students 18-22 but this seems to have changed several years ago.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dfamily4.htm

If you have children looking to go to school, even if it is a few years off, start looking for financial assistance now because it all takes time to apply for and fill out the paperwork. I would contact any religious, fraternal, labor or other organizations you belong to. You may also look to your alma mater or any fraternity you may have belonged too. You never know where financial assistance may come from.

davedsel57 responded:
Hi, Tim.

Di is right, of course. Our youngest son was 17 years old when I started receiving SSD. They stopped the payments shortly after his 18th birthday. They sent notice so we knew it would happen and it was expected.

One nice thing about that was that I was receiving long term disability payments from Unum. They deducted both my and my son's SSD monthly payments. When his payments stopped, I sent them the needed proof and they no longer deducted his amount from my LTD payments. Unum offered a lump-sum settlement last year and after research and negotiating a higher amount accepted that.

The whole disability process is complex and takes time and a lot of research to understand.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
Yeah, that sounds like my policy execpt my dependants aren't subtracted so I will still get some for my wife and younger daughter.
Our girls want to go to college regardless of me. My 17 YO has a 4.33 GPA with an A in AP calc and Psycology. As a senior she is getting some college credit for the advanced course work. The high GPA has already collected some scholarships...we're working on more. NV has a good University about 50 miles away (UNR) and she's already registered.
Her sister 25 months younger has a 4.00 and lettering in two sports.
One thing I think I've helped teach them by struggling and working to support them for 12 years with a broken back is to be tancious. Both are very independent, but good people. My oldest almost signed up for the armed services to study psycology and help the troops with PTSD. After finishing with an A in Honors Pre calc she was inspired by her teacher and desided to major in mathematics and wants to teach high school math. I told to find something she loves and the money won't matter. As humans we can overcome any obstacle if we truly put our mind to it.

Thanks Di. I know you are right, but I'm wondering is anything will change with the changes in our system...if so, I doubt it will happen in the next 4 years.

Merry Christmas all

Tim

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
After 12 years thuogh I think my days of tanicity are numbered. I see my pain doc Friday and I don't know what to tell him. The pain meds aren't working and I am in such debilitating pain I can hardly function. My GP and I talked Thursday and he supports me going out on disability. He's not forcing me, but he says he's concerend that I may be taking it too far. He said he has two pateints that he wished would go on disability, but they keep working. He said those pateints are me and some lady.
He told me I've proven to the world that I'm not a quitter and I have plenty of medical objective records to satisfy SSDI. He's been my GP for over 20 years. Well before I was injured,

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center