Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Needs Help With Mom's Health
    An_249592 posted:
    I'm very worried about my mother's health. My father passed away 6 years ago. She is 62 years old, obese (over 300 lbs), and has suffered since her 30s from severe nerve damage in her spine due to a work accident. She is unable to exercise heavily. She is in pain just walking around. She sleeps on and off from 7 AM to 3 PM, waking often because of her pain. She suffers from depression and although she is very friendly, she only socializes with me (I live at home) and a few close relatives and friends who visit or call. I'm not sure if she takes painkillers, but I fear that they'll make her "hazy" and that she may trip and fall. She generally only eats in the evening (plain sandwiches) and does not eat excessively. Beyond diet suggestions, I feel powerless. I love my mom very much, and I don't know where to even begin in helping her achieve better physical and mental health. She's a wonderful person who I hope has not given up on herself. I'm in my mid-twenties, and I feel this struggle beginning to have a seriously negative effect on me as well and on my worldview.

    davedsel57 responded:

    I am sorry for your situation. What you need to do is to encourage your mother to change to a healthier lifestyle. She will only change if she wants to change. Encourage your mother to see her doctor for a complete physical and go with her into the exam room if she will let you. Learn all you can about healthy living and try to be an example for your mother. Tell her how much you would miss her if she passed away too early from this unhealthy lifestyle. Be honest with her when you tell her how much this is disturbing you.

    It is frustrating to watch a loved one suffer. Just be there for her and help her as much as you can and as much as she will let you.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


    bj1208 responded:
    HI and welcome to the support group -

    Dave has given you great advise, as always. I just wanted to add a couple of things~~

    If your mother refuses to see her primary doc see if you have a dietitian at your grocery store. They can offer advise on a lot of different lifestyles for healthier living. I speak to the one at our grocery store on my father-n-laws diet as he is a diabetic. She has helped me learn so much about diabetes, proper sugars and how to count/divide what would be a intake for his foods/substitutions etc.,

    You may be able to speak with your mom's primary doc's nurse to see if they can suggest some options for your mom. One of those would be for her to see a good spine specialist either Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon - but must be sure they are spine specialist as they are the only ones that can accurately diagnose spine problems. A X-ray/MRI/CT Scan will need to be done. I would check to see if there is a big university teaching hospital near you. I've heard some have a new MRI machine where you sit in it and it rotates around to get the pictures needed - as you say your mother is very large I don't believe she will be able to have one done in the regular machines.

    Another would be for a good pain management physician - I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist - they go deeper into pain management based on patients' needs.

    During the diagnosis period, the sine specialist may refer your mom for Physical Therapy/Chiropractic treatments where they can work with her and show her proper exercising techniques.

    If you can it would be beneficial for you to take her to her appointments this way you know what all is going on and also to help her with exercises at home (maybe do them with her to help encourage her).

    The more you show interest in her health the more she may want to get something done about it.

    Hope this helps - keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center