Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    lower back pain,
    efreddo1 posted:
    have been experiencing major throbbing pain in my lower back. i drive an hour to work and an hour back everyday, and in the mornings when i get out of the car, i cant stand up straight for about a half hour until i really get moving. im 34 years old and i am in construction. the pain is a throbbing pain in waves and i feel it in my quadriceps in both legs, and also in my bowels simultaneously. i havent heard anyone with pain in front of their bodies from back pain, usually ive heard of numbing down the legs but i dont have numbing. ive had it for years, but it is becoming detrimental to my job and quality of life. any information on what may be going on would be appreciated. thanks!
    davedsel57 responded:
    Hello and welcome.

    Read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. You will need to start with your primary doctor, then talk to him/her about a spine specialist such as a spinal orthopedic surgeon or spinal neurosurgeon. While surgery is always the last resort, these doctors are the best for diagnosing the cause of your symptoms and recommending effective treatment plan. You will then probably be referred to a pain management specialist. The best pm doctors are physiatrists, as these doctors provide various pain management treatment for spinal problems and do no solely rely on prescription medication.

    I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.



    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center