Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My ACDF surgery
tsdemayo posted:
Hello all. Here is a little recap, and update on my recovery.
On May 10, 2012 i had my surgery on C-4 & C-5, with no complications.
Was told i had to quit smoking 2 weeks after the surgery, and tried but had very bad results with Chantix.
The surgeon suggested taking a vitamin supplement that had D-3, K-2, and calcium at my 20 week x-ray/check-up. I started taking the supplement that day, with my next x-ray/check-up in six weeks.
On Nov 15, 2012 at my 26 week x-ray/ check-up, the surgeon informed me i was fused, but like a little tree, that needs to grow.
Because i smoke, i took my body 6 MONTHS to completely fuse bone to bone, while the non-smoker takes an average of 6 to 12 WEEKS.
I was so scared to have this surgery, i had nightmares, cried about it, even made out my Will! When i woke up in the recovery room, i felt great, had a muffin, a Coke, went pee, and was half dressed when they came in to take my i.v. out. When i got home, i took it easy for about a week(as directed), and with the exception of roller-skating, and hiking, my daily activities went back to normal.
If i had to give any words of advise to anyone about to have an ACDF, those words would be; Quit smoking! Quit smoking! Quit smoking!

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome -

I don't want to disagree with the quit smoking as it does take longer to heal from fusion surgeries and for that matter all surgeries.

I had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 done 2/25/08. My surgeon was known as a hard-ass with all other patients telling them they had to quit smoking at least 2 months prior to surgery. Well he said nothing to that fact to me. I smoked right up to the ride to the hospital and then after I was in my room I went out in a wheelchair and had a cig. Yes I know that was bad but my story is quite different. By my 6th week post op I was fused 100% and I healed very well from the surgery. My surgeon said it was a 50/50% chance that my pains would reduce but he could not guarantee it - was just hopeful. And that is where I am now - my pains are worse now than before the surgery. I still smoke, have nerve damage in both legs, chronic low back pain, anxiety attacks and have been disabled since my surgery (no way I could work with the pains, let alone the pain medications I take).

At least this is one story with a twist on recovery but I do agree - stop smoking.

Oh and I had problems too with Chantix (tried this 2 yrs ago) - one of the side effects is it causes back pains!!

take care~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center