Skip to content
Gabapentin
nikkita22 posted:
Last week was my first trip to the Spine Pain Management Clinic. The last time I visited this site there was alot of negative talk about the clinic "taking" everyone's meds. I sure am glad I read the posts and was prepared for this, or I would have responded like I did on the posts, which was anger. Thanks CT Beth for the info! What I found at the clinic were real caring people who dont want to take my meds, they just don't want me to become an addict. I get it now. Just had to write this, just for the record.
I was put on Neurontin, been on it for about five (5) days and am starting to experience a HUGE EUPHORIA. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome back.

what milligram are you taking? Gabapentin (Neurontin) should be started out on a low dose of 300mg a day (take at night) for about a couple of weeks. there are some side effects to feel during this time period but they do go away - I felt very tired and kinda a 'light headed drunk" feeling. the med needs to be increased very slowly over a period of several months until a therapeutic dose is attained.

I am presently taking 3600mg a day (1800mg twice a day). and if I miss a dose I can really tell as my legs will start to hurt real bad.

hope this helps - let me know how much u are taking~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

nikkita22 replied to bj1208's response:
Wow 3600! I did start on 300 x1 at night, and slowly graduated. I am now only doing 900 a day. Your description is better than mine with the "light headed drunk". It is exactly what I am feeling. I am also noticeing pain releif in my leg and hand already! I am so thrilled to see some light in this very dark back pain world that I had to post.

bj1208 replied to nikkita22's response:
Hi again~~

Yea I have permanent nerve damage in both legs so that's why I'm on such a high dosage. Actually a therapeutic dose, from what my pain doc has told me, usually starts at about 2400mg a day.

It's great ur feeling relief with it. As far as my back pain, the gabapentin doesn't seem to help that though I've spoke with a few members on this site where they were prescribed the gabapentin for back pains.

keep us posted how ur doing~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I was on about 1200/day aand never had any side effects. I just started back on 700/day and I do notice a bit of drowsiness.

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim - hope ur doing well~~

700 seems a bit high as they normally start out on 300 a day as the side effects of drowsiness/drunken feeling can be more severe for some. It should subside in about a week or two so hang in there.

I didn't know you went back on it - and haven't really been on the boards much except the last couple of days - are some of your pains/symptoms getting worse? I hope not.

take it easy - keep us posted~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Actually he started me at 900/day. Years ago I was taking way more, but I don't remember the exact amount. I thought it was 5x350. It's funny, I've taken large doses of it and never noticed and some people fall asleep from it. I wish it would help me sleep!

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center