Skip to content
Herniated Disc/Pinched Nerve
SaintsNation posted:
Hi, I'm a 18 year old student-athlete and in August, I started feeling pain in my back. I figured it was muscle spasms and I just needed to stretch and apply heat and ice. As the season went on, gradually got worse to the point where it would be hard to walk. Once the season was over, I went to my doctor and setup a MRI which came back with a herniated disc L5-S1 which is causing mass effect on the S1 nerve root. Along with that, L5-S1 show multilevel degenerative changes and retrolisthesis. I've been given Medrol, the first round (6 day step) didn't help any and didn't let me sleep at all. My doctor wants to give it one more try, so I'm about to start the second round of Medrol. Now if this doesn't work he wants to give me epidural shots in my back, which I have done research on and looks like a temporary fix. My question i what is the best solution for this problem and what are the chances that I will be able to make a full recovery to be able to play football at 100% again?
davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

Only your doctor can give you an accurate prognosis about your condition and being able to play football at 100% again. I am not a doctor, but will say that IMHO given that it is only one disc and that you are young and healthy I would think your chances are pretty good.

Read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that gives the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. Within that tip are links to websites that have very good related information. Read through other posts in this community and see how others are fairing with similar conditions.

Keep doing your research. Keep a positive attitude. Keep moving as much as possible.

I pray you can get the right treatment and relief soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.



Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center