Skip to content
Upper back pain question
ilovecrafts posted:
Hi all,
I just joined WebMD not too long ago. I was wondering if anyone knows if upper back pain can radiate towards the front, towards chest? I am a side sleeper and have just started to have slight back pain. Notice this first thing in morning when I wake up. I also do a lot of sitting for my work, and the seating is probably not the best for long term sitting. I also sit up in bed at night doing research on computer. This pain just started a few weeks ago, but then I noticed its in the front too, above breast.
I don't have chest pain, like heart related, or shortness of breath, no jaw pain, no arm pain, nothing like that. I had ekg a few months ago which came back normal. The ekg was for slight heart palpitations which I was getting along with hot flashes and mood swings and night sweats.....you got it.....pre-menopause.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am not a doctor, but do have over 35 years experience managing chronic back pain. I would have to answer 'yes'. Pain from a spinal problem could radiate to the chest.

Please read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. Within that tip are links to websites that have very good related information.

Since you notice the pain first thing in the morning, it may be your mattress if is is older. Many people find relief from back pain when they get a mattress that offers proper support. It could be something more complex, so seeing your doctor would be a good idea.

I hope you can answers, treatment and relief soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

ilovecrafts replied to davedsel57's response:
Thank you so much for the info! I will read through the info

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center