Farewell
davedsel57 posted:
I have been a member of WebMD for over 10 years. A recent change in the communities has led me to a decision to have my membership deleted and no longer post in any community.

WebMD has decided to have all communities be 'self-moderating'. There are no more moderators. In other communities I have seen that inappropriate posts are not being deleted. There is a lot of bickering among members. Spam stays on the boards far too long before being deleted. New members are posting with rather radical ideas and trying to convice others that they are right.

WebMD is a public, world-wide site with the communities open to anyone. Without moderation I no longer feel safe posting here. I have enjoyed my time here and learned a great deal. I wish everyone in this community success in managing their chronic back pain.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Hi Dave~~

I fully understand your decision and as you know I will miss you so much.

I was surprised too to find out WEBMD is going to let the support groups be self-moderating.

I became a member of WEBMD in 6/06. I had posted my condition/diagnosis on several boards (doing GOOGLE search) and I can honestly say WEBMD's members were the first ones to respond to my posting within about 30-45 minutes. I was surprised that the other "support groups" did not respond, well one did after about 6 months, but I have not received any response from them.

Having a response that fast on a support group on the Internet, especially WEBMD, was great~~it was fantastic. I met so many great members (yes, you were one of them, Dave), that I stayed with WEBMD. There was a closeness here that goes far beyond a support group. That closeness is a family and can only be referred to and/or gained by the sincerity of this family. And thru the years we have lost a lot of great 'family members', some who did not appreciate the new programming changes for posting/responding and others left because of personal reasons, i.e., health becoming worse and/or more operations, etc.

I can honestly say that I will try my hardest to stay on WEBMD for as long as I can tolerate the new changes and challenges.

Thank you so much, Dave, for all that you have given to the members of the support group. Even if those members were the "fly by night posters", meaning posts a problem/question and never hear from them again! You have given the members so much by providing a "Note" Pin-up where new members are directed to read and follow the guidelines/websites to research let alone being directed to your avatar picture to read your story and how you are dealing with your own type of pain management for such a long time without any types of prescribed medications as you have reactions to them. Seeing how you deal with pain is truly an inspiration to us all.

I will miss you, my friend. I do hope and pray that you and your wife have a full-filling retirement together. And I do hope and pray both you and your wife's' pains are manageable.

Take care~~(((Love and Hugs)))
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Debsbears responded:
Dave I am right behind you. I have seen and feel 100% the way you do. I will keep in touch with you via email. My prayers go with you and your wife. Deb

jselleck replied to Debsbears's response:
You will be missed. Thanks for the help you've given me.

JSelleck

dianer01 responded:
Dave and Deb,

I will miss you both and hope someday will be the right time to return. If you would like to I may be reached through the email address in my profile.

di

bj1208 replied to Debsbears's response:
Hey Debsbears - sorry to see you go too - you will be missed greatly. Have enjoyed chatting with you and you sharing your story with us.

Take Care~~(((Love and Hugs)))
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 responded:
I too completely agree. I rarely respond anymore and occasionally update. It's a shame as people that have found a way to do better than just survive can only be found in the ashes of the many that have failed. While I understand and support your decision I can say that losing you is like pulling the foundation bricks out from beneath of a house ... The walls will certainly crumble. While the message board will continue as long as Webmd pays the bills I question the future value and integrity. As you know, in this venue, the one thing worse than no advice is bad advice...it could be lethal. I guess if the moderators are not affiliated with Webmd the liability isn't either.

God bless

Tim