Skip to content
iBook
trs1960 posted:
I got a new iPadùh a few days ago so what better first iBook than the book I have touted as if not my pain bible, my true epiphany; Pain, the Science of suffering by Patrick Wall MD. while a little pricey in its digital format ($26 vs $19 soft) I'm impressed by the crispness of the text. The highlighting, annotating and bookmarks are pure blessings. Perhaps I can make up for the first copy with all my handwritten notes that I gave away to a dear friend that badly needed his own epiphany. A quote in which the author defines the books place in the pain library

“This is not a textbook. There are many such books, including The Challenge of Pain (Penguin, London, 1999), written by myself and Ron Melzack, and the fourth edition of the Textbook of Pain (Churchill-Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1999), which Melzack and I edited. Neither is this book a do-it-yourself recipe book for pain relief. It is intended to give the readers the power of understanding processes in their own body.”

Excerpt From: Wall, Patrick. “Pain.” Columbia University Press, 2011-09-10. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

A reminder Dr. Wall and Melzack invented the TENS unit to distract the brain of the 911 pain signal screaming in its ear!

As I explained, this book is the why and lack of understanding why we are helplessly ignorant with no chance of learning how! I'm not saying this is the only book that accomplishes this milestone, but it did it for me. After years of asking doctors why with no clear answer I felt betrayed, depressed and helpless. A bad recipe for someone with a long road of self help and teamwork lying ahead of me.

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center