Skip to content
Web MD change's
dano1259 posted:
I not sure what davedsel57 was talking about, can anyone help me
on this.
Thanks Dan

bj1208 responded:
Hi Dan -

Basically, WEBMD will no longer be monitoring posts that appear on their support groups (not just this one but all groups) - which means anyone can post anything they want - scams, attacking individuals and/or professionals, etc. WEBMD has/had a staff that would monitor these items every day and remove and/or warn those individuals. Now WEBMD is allowing SELF-MONITORING - meaning leaving it up to it's members to report any posts they believe to be harmful.

This could mean that we will be seeing a lot more posts from outsiders trying to sell their SCAM products and also if one member is upset at another will be able to post arguments and/or other explicit means via posts.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 replied to bj1208's response:
oops - hit post before I was done!! LOL

Anyway - WEBMD is allowing it's members to be in control of the posts which the support posts could entail quite a lot of things we really don't want to see.

Dave and I, along with other members, have been with WEBMD for a number of years and have seen a lot of changes over those years from how we post to what is allowed etc., Dave is a great guy and I hate to see him leave the support group, along with others (DEBSBEAR).

hopefully this helps answers some of your questions~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
On such a board oversight is crucial. Dangers of scams, recommendations that lack medical integrity, encouragement to self medicate etc can all be life threatening we look to the medical professionals to keep the train on the tracks. Dave has been a clear voice against Internet diagnosis and kept it clear that we are a support group, not an alternate to professional medical care!

Debsbears responded:
Here is the email I got when I wrote in 2 times about where are the moderators:

WebMD has decided to shift the focus of the communities from being WebMD-managed to now being more member-managed — allowing members to shape their conversations and their communities in the direction that suits their needs. We have seen this as a growing trend among other social networking sites/message boards and feel it will better facilitate interaction among our members. Even with this change, we will continue to invite experts to keep answering member questions as they have been in the past. Along with this, we have also recently made some significant updates to our Answers tool (answers.webmd.com ) and we hope you will make use of this resource as well.

If you do need to reach a WebMD Staff member, please reach out either via our reporting tool on this community or by submitting an email here: https://customercare.webmd.com/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp?style=classic .

Hope that helps....took a almost a week to get a reply, but they did answer me.

On the diabetes community site it has gotten really bad since the moderators have left on Dec. 10th. I do not know why WebMD did this, I joined because it was monitored. I also do not feel comfortable with this "open" social networking. This community "back pain" is not as bad as some of the others I belonged too.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center