Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
medtroic pain pump Model 8637-40
tdgibs posted:
is anyone who has this pump, having problems with the pump, not giving you medication, for days at a time. my doctor ran a pump test, its showing no problems, but i am still not getting, the medication from the pump, all of my pain is back, and the withdraws to go with it. then all of a sudden, the pump starts working again. he also did a CT scan, on the pumps tubing, he said it showed no problems. the only thing i could get out of Medtronic, was the battery can surge, at times. but the print out on the pump is not showing it....

bj1208 responded:
Hi TDGIBS - welcome to the support group -

I did some checking on this and found this notification from FDA -

http://www.ibtimes.com/fda-cites-dangerous-flaw-medtronic-drug-pump-312510

you can GOOGLE: medtronic and the model # and see if there are other articles more updated as to the recall. This one specifically mentions the types of problems you are having.

Please research more and take what you find to your doctor. please keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

tdgibs replied to bj1208's response:
thanks for the information, funny. Medtronic never told me about a recall on my pump, when contacting them last week. are my pain management doctor.

bj1208 replied to tdgibs's response:
Please call your doc as soon as possible and make sure you keep ur foot firmly planted til you get results.

keep us posted - take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

this has been going on for 7 weeks now, going to a new pump doctor this friday. will let you know the results. i am not getting know where with my doctor, he only works 1 1/2 days per week. it took 2 weeks just to get the CT scan. so i think its best for me to move, to another doctor.

Hi -

I think you made a very wise choice.

Please, do, keep us posted~~

~~ Joy ~~

went to a new PM doctor Friday, about the pump problems. this doctor did not know about the recall, are the pump problems either. now, i am at the point, who is telling the truth in the matter. Medtronic has posted, all PM pump doctor's was notified about the class 1 recall from the FDA. seen my regulator PM doctor to day, still no progress. been suffering for 2 months now, with no help. the only thing i got out of him, he cannot replace the pump. then i told him about the recall, and things changed a little. the thing that up sets me the most, i have contacted medtronic 4 times, and my doctor 5 times, including office visits seen another doctor, then i was pushed to see and lawyer. the only thing the new doctor said, the CT scan, would not show the problem with the pump. a dye test would have to be done. my doctor, said you cannot do a dye test on the pump. did they have a same training class from Medtronic, before implanting their pumps into people. my pump has failed 2 times before, but the pump records does not show the failures. and the alarms on the pump never sounded. that's my biggest worry, that the next time, luck will not be on my side.

HI again -

Damn I hate politics with doc's and the mfg - seems the kick backs are too great and no one wants to have to pay out for any lawsuits. Its just BS and makes me mad.

Have you contacted the FDA? I would search and find a number to call them - see what they say about your situation and what you should do? I think that would be the next step since you keep running up against brick walls.

Please please keep us posted what you find out - prayers you get results~~

~~ Joy ~~

funny my doctor is on this site. bj1208 u can e-mail me at tdgibs@yahoo.com. thank for your help.

sent u an email~~

~~ Joy ~~

bulldogge responded:
I have been having troubles with The pump since they installed it in 01/2012 and I thought I just had to live with the side effects. I was throwing up for 5 days and the doctor sent me to the outpatient surgery center where he noted a malfunction occurred. I was never told about a recall and I was told the pump had no side effects. I just found out today after over 2 years of hell they have recalled the pump. When they installed the pump I should have been notified of all the problems yet I wasn't. Hot flashes, dizziness, nausea, lethargy are just some of the symptoms. They have never showed a "malfunctioning" pump on the read-out but I know what I feel and this is the end of me and Medtronic's relationship.

bj1208 replied to bulldogge's response:
Hi and welcome to the support group

I'm responding on my cell phone and cannot copy websites but if you do a Google search Medtronics Pain Pump Recall you will get several sites. Be sure to read the ones from FDA.gov and also metronics site too.

You should be able to gather all info you need to either see an Anesthesiologist Pain Management doc or maybe another pain management doc that works with the pain pump.

It may be a good idea the go to a university hospital and see the pain mgmt dept.

There has to be help for those that have a recalled pump.

Please keep us posted
~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
No problems here, my model no. Is not on the list though. I guess they just have the older models at Walmart ;/

bradbhanes responded:
Hey tdgibs, I just found your post which looks to be two years old. Can you tell me what your eventual outcome was with the issue's you were having with your recalled pump. I had my pump replaced a year ago with this recalled pump and I'm having what seem to be the exact same issue's you spoke about in your post. Over the last two months I've had four or five separate day long episodes were I started feeling severe withdrawal symptoms for no reason or mistake I made with my orals. Something is defiantly wrong as this never, and I mean never happened with my original pump. My doctor interrogated my pump and found no malfunctions and he also ordered an emergency MRI with and without contrast to check for granuloma and that also came back negative. Listen I know these withdrawal symptoms are really happening and there is no reason for it. My nurse that refills my pump is on her way over here now to talk to me and interrogate my pump, but I'm guessing it will show no issues .........what should I do??? What happened with you??? I'm all ears on advice!!!! Sincerely Brad..........

trs1960 replied to bradbhanes's response:
My remote box says model 8835, not sure if that's the same number as the pump though.

No problems, but I've only had it for about 4-5 months though .

Best of luck.

Tim

Helpful Tips

how long does methadone stay in your system
need to know how long methadone stay in your system More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center