Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
fentanal patch for lower back pain
kkk1984 posted:
sorry probably have the word spelled wrong but I am wondering if anyone has used this pain patch for lower back pain/left lumbar radiculpathy pain I have tried a number of things like epidural injection, facet block, medial nerve block nerve ablation, now deep tissue massage, lidoderm patch and no relief, my pain is mostly while sitting I have had this for over 2 years now, also have tired numerous pain medications no help.

hornetfan7777 responded:
Yes, I used this before we moved to a different area and my new pain dr. is not willing to prescribe that. But, if you cannot get relief from other strong meds, try it. It helped me. I would go back to it in a heartbeat right now!!!! I had no problems with it. Now you can even get coverings for them so that they will not come off in the heat of summer or during your shower. I hope you find relief SOON!!!

trs1960 responded:
I did about 8 years ago with nearly fatal results. Now we're all different so I can't say how it will work for you, but for me I had a psychotic break down and went into deep depression. It was a misery I cannot explain and cringe just thinking about it. The only way I can explain it was like when people in the movie Ghost went to hell. It was as if something was tearing out my soul.

tdgibs replied to trs1960's response:
you need to watch using fentanal patches, if you work outside. if you get over heated, it will cause the patch to give you more medication. it happen to me, 2 times. read the warning information. and do not take hot baths, it will cause the same problem.

trs1960 replied to tdgibs's response:
There were class action law suits against fentanyl, my personal opinion is it's better suited for end of life treatment and not chronic pain for anyone that wants to remain active. I could be wrong, but based on my experience I wouldn't use it again. I would go to a psychologist and explore my brain and understand more about how pain interacts with it.

A lot of us need analgesics to have any quality of life, I understand that. I'm just saying that before going to that class of drug (100 times more potent than morphine) I would make sure I clean out my basement before I rent out my attic.

I got more quality of life from a pain management PHD than any patch or pill. Turns out I need both, but with both the drugs have been greatly reduced and my outlook is more positive.

It takes what it takes so we all need to find our way. It's a tough and arduous journey to get from a to b. to roll the rock of Sisyphus up the hill each day brings.

If you search on Fentanyl the literature states it is for breakthrough cancer pain and is not to be used for non cancer related pain...

Each tool is added to the others as we work our way through life.

God bless

Tim

olddogKen responded:
Yes having my own pain issues (low back and SI joint dissfunction) The fentanal patch was given to me by a friend (licensed Phyisician) and it worked very well for me, side effects were quite managable. However my neuro doctor disagreed and haven't had it again. If it were available to me I would certainly try it.

trs1960 replied to olddogKen's response:
My side effects took about 9 months. I was in heaven at first as it I's a great analgesic, but after awhile it started making really sick. I won't explain how, as I said it is 100 times stronger than morphine. With the strong pain relief comes strong risk of side effects.

Tim

trs1960 replied to olddogKen's response:
,,,and its not for lower back, or that is it's not site specific. It's transdermal. That means you put on any patch of skin and it works its way in to your bloodstream. It effects your entire body. I got it when I was tired of taking high doses of oral meds. I asked if I could take something besides pills? He said "here" and handed me a prescription. My pharmacist was a friend so I asked how close did I need to put the patch to the pain site? He laughed and gave the speech, "this is fentanyl, it's 100 times stronger than morphine! It doesn't matter where you put. It will go through your skin right to your bloodstream !"

I'm not telling you what to do I'm just pointing out that this is one of the strongest opiads you can get. Please talk to your doctor, mine didn't think twice and just wrote it. I found out later about the lawsuits and the fact that it's really an end of life drug and well tolerated by most for chronic pain. It's associated with many deaths.

Tim

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center