Skip to content
Hand/Leg pain Chronic Radiculopathy Please help me!
SuperWoman110 posted:
First off I want to thank everyone for reading this because I have been searching online for any info about Chronic Radiculopathy since I seen those words in my medical reports I recently got. So let me tell you a little about what I have been dealing with.

I am a 23 Year old woman. I was born with Spina Bifida and Club feet along with other medical problems that go along with those birth defects. I was one of the lucky children with the right doctors at the right time because after years of surgeries and hard work... I am able to walk without braces or a wheelchair. With Spina Bifida you can have this thing called Tethercord, I have had that more than once and had surgery to fix the problem.

About 3 years ago I had a tethercord surgery about a month later I started to have the same pain and numb feeling in my legs we did a mri to see if it came back but everything looked great after surgery. So why the pain? My back doctor sent me to a NERVE doctor.... I had a Nerve study done I believe its called a EMG where they also put needles into my muscles and shocked them to see if the nerves were working.

It showed I had Chronic Right L5-S1 Radiculopathies and a mild acute left S1 and Chronic left L5 Radiculopathy. My doctor never once told me that I had that I actually asked for my records recently so I could take them to another doctor and looking over them myself it says in big letters DIAGNOSED WITH CHRONIC RADICULOPATHY.

I am on a few different nerve meds to help leg spams and when I'm in really bad pain my doctor sometimes will give me a pain med. I have actually video taped the leg spams now to prove to the doctors that this is really going on. Because sometimes I feel like they think it is all in my head... I just want answers. They just want to keep looking at well you were born with Spina Bifida and have had back surgery but its in my hands, feet and legs and it only seems to be getting worse like I said its now been 3 years. When it started it was just in my legs and feet... now it is also in my hands and fingers its like a tingling/needles poking at my skin. At times my feet and legs feel like it is burning because the leg spams and nerve pain is so bad... by that point it hurts so bad to move that I am just in bed crying.

I know my body this is something totally different. They have done blood work and everything looks good. I just dont know where else to turn. I have a wonderful husband who at times even needs to help me get out of bed or get me stuff because I cant move without crying because the pain is so bad. I will wake up in the middle of the night in so much pain. I cant lay still... it feels like needles, numbness, tingling, burning, the littlest touch is so much pain. Sometimes you can see the leg spams, sometimes you cant... but I feel my muscles spaming ALL DAY 24/7. I never get a break. I have looked into Radiculopathy & Neuropathy. It sounds like I have the systems. I just feel so alone because the doctors dont understand how much pain I'm truely in. I use to live in Chicago but now I live in a small town in NC where no one knows anything about my birth defects nor Radiculopathy it seems. So please if anyone has any advice or can relate to me I would love to hear from you because like I said I know this is not in my head the tests show it, you can see the leg spams but these doctors make you feel like its in your head because i'm not the normal case or because they dont know what is the cause of the nerve problems. Thank you for your time and for reading. -Jamie

bj1208 responded:
HI and welcome to the support group -

WOW you've had a lot going on in your life - I'm sorry you're in so much pain and having so many issues.

What meds have the doc's put you on?

I have Neuropathy in both legs (nerve damage) from a damaged disc pressing on the nerve roots. My pain doc put me on Neurontin (Gabapentin is generic) and it does help with the tingling/numbess etc Lyrica is also a good med too. both meds should be started out on a low dosage for a couple of weeks (to get used to side effects) then slowly increased until a therapeutic dose is reached.

here's a site I found that helps explain it RADICULOPATHY.

http://www.medicinenet.com/radiculopathy/article.htm

this site explains some treatment options. hopefully this will help -

keep us posted what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

betsey2u responded:
HI Jamie. I can kind of relate ,.I have radiculopathy I call it ridiculous! I was diagnosed not to long ago although it seems like forever and my family and friends aare sick of listening to me. I was sent to physical therapy,..didnt do much. and I couldnt afford to continue. I took matters into my own hands and started to do the treadmill. I was supose to be doing the bike (and a bunch of other exercises. ) But the treadmill help me tremendously! all the muscle spasms were still there but the pins and needles were few and far between. Then I ended up tearing a tendon or something in my knee and all the pains are back. I suffer from arthritis andalso have some tendonitis? or bursitis? in my shoulder. Since I havent been walking as much and now taking ibuprofin the side of my body with my injuries are swelling up. not sure what is up with that. My radiculopathy is in the L-5. But I was sent for an mri and just by that and my symptoms the ortho diagnosed me. A few times I have had it in my arms tingling numbness and even spasms,..when I mention to my ortho he just says pinched nerves. It all seems to be nerves and spine. I am 45 but you are young. ALl they would give me is some muscle relaxers (which incidently doesnt help much with the spasms so i stopped taking those a long time ago) and told me to take ibuprofin and exercise. Im surprised your ortho didnt send you to physical therapy like mine did,..it got me started walking again. I want to tell you I BELIEVE YOU!
~Christine

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center