Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia+ cortisone injection= worse pain?
casjackson1987 posted:
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last week, so I'm new to all of that. My doctor gave me a cortisone injection in the main trigger point in my back, but I'm told that the injection is given to many people who have back pain but not fibromyalgia. I was just wondering if anyone else had more severe pain after the injection? I have since been put on a pain reliever, and I go back to the doctor on Friday. Just curious to hear from people without a medical degree.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

yes it is common to experience more pains after a steroid injection -

some people experience more pains for several days up to a week and may require an additional injection after 2 weeks. usually by this time the steroid injection has time to impact the area of inflammation and start to work by reducing pains.

there are others that may have immediate relief from the injection.

and then there are others that don't have any relief from the injections.

during your physicians examination they may have found arthritis, an inflamed facet joint or damaged disc(s) where he/she thought the injection may help.

What tests were done? i.e., MRI/CT Scan etc?

have you posted your question on the Fibro board? you may find more answers to your questions on why you had this done.

here's the link to the Fibro WEBMD Support Group -

http://exchanges.webmd.com/fibromyalgia-exchange

Hope this helps~~keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center