Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Aprilrose
trs1960 posted:
I've quit touting a book that helped save my life as I was singing to the same people and getting repititous. I'm reading it now in digital format in IBooks, but it is available in soft back for about $10 including shipping from Amozan. I bought a paper edition tonight to give to a friend whom I may have to read it to. He had a few Cs fused and is not doing well.

I say this to you and to anyone that wants to learn how pain, your spine, your ganglion, peripheral nerves, chemicals all send signals to your brain in a very elaborate and sometimes bidirectional scheme. From the brain lobes and PET scans to the Cuada equina and its development in the womb.

I thought being a nurse, you know.the value of educating yourself. In our situation knowledge is more powerfull than many drugs. It won't replace them and in fact it will teach you why and how analgesics are often needed for people like us.

The book is titled Pain -The Science of Suffering, by Patrick Wall MD. To add a little context Dr. Wall is the coinventer of the TENS unit still used today.

This book was my epiphany. I turned each page only to read story that seemed be written just for me, a person suffering and not understanding chronic pain.

I ask that if you can afford $10 you buy and read Pain, by Dr. Patrick Wall.

He covers pain from Aristotle to recent times, from the bark of the white willow tree used for thousands of years until it became known as Bayer aspirin and of the upcoming COX-2 inhibitors that are "soon to be released." We know they have come and gone, but did offer anti inflammatory relief.

This book really did save my life and for me was the epiphany I needed to believe in my doctors and now understanding the process I could believe in myself. I also learned that often lessor pains occur each time I get rid of a more malicious pain...it all makes perfect sense when one understands the gate control theory!

If you are really bad off let me know and I will buy the book. I'm just about to finish reading it for the 5th time and each time I do, I'm blown away again

Here's a brief excerpt about those of us that are effected by pain and the different ways it affects us. From the stoic to the debilitated, we all fit in this book somewhere if not everywhere.

“People in pain have difficulty coping. Pain monopolizes their world. Anger, fear, rejection, and isolation clearly make matters worse. The patients’ conflicting sense of shame and dependency adds to their problems. When these have been deliberately triggered by the authority of doctors, the patients are in deep trouble. Very rarely, individuals can diagnose the social situation, stop complaining, and put on an act that signals to others that they are not in pain despite their continued problems. These rare individuals may appear admirable, but their public performance is a sham. For the rest of us, we need comfort, support, recognition, and help if we are to make the best of our days in pain. To achieve that effort, we certainly do not need a group of doctors to wash their hands of us and dump the problem entirely on our shoulders.”

Excerpt From: Wall, Patrick. “Pain.” Columbia University Press, 2011-09-10. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/pain/id508275775?mt=11

aprilrose9 responded:
Hello, I was not sure if this message was for me. The message is to AprilRose and I go by AprilRose9.
If this was indeed for me, I have the means to purchase this and will do so today. Your kind offer, shows a wonderful generous and compassionate spirit.
If you were referring to me, I agree we must all try to educate ourselves about our medical problems as much as possible. The length of your information shows a dedication to help other and as a new member this was exactly what I was looking for when I joined this support group.
If I am person you were trying to help, then I want to send a big thank you. If not, then you helped a stranger by mistake and that is fabulous.
If you were attempting to reach me, you are right, as an RN I should try to educate myself as much as possible. In my defense, I can only tell you my pain level was incapacitating. Unable to read, turn myself in bed, walk, watch TV ect. was my life for too many years. We all have different medical diagnosis, medical history and outcomes from past treatments. The same way medicine is not black and white, but a wide grey area, so is our pain situations. I do feel many options fall under an umbrella we should all explore.
Your effort to reach and educate me or someone else is applauded. AprilRose9

aprilrose9 responded:
To TRS1960, I am not sure if you mean me or not. I go by AprilRose9, and I know there is an AprilRose out there, because I obviously, could not use it as my first choice.
Anyway, after laying in bed for so many years, my brain is pure mush. As a matter of fact, I just tried to write to you and have no idea what I did wrong and where in the heck I sent the post.
The reason I thought it may be me, is the mention of the RN profession and how someone with that background should care about educating themselves about their medical problem. Of course, you are right. Your offer concerning the book was extremely generous and compassionate. It is nice to find such a kind spirit on this site,and the reason I recently joined. I can see you spent alot of time explaining the approach of Dr. Walls book. I will order the book as soon as I am done here.
I only want to point out a couple of things here. As an RN we basically specialize. I was on the team that covered all the cardiac and respiratory arrests in the hospital. My backgraound is cardiothoracic ICU, taking care of open heart surgery patients straight from the O.R., surgical ICU and CCU. The same way a nurse in O.B. couldn't do my job, I could not safely work in that specialty. When I injured my back I was at a loss and felt great pressure from the hospital and my husband to get back to work. As a result, I fell for too many promises to get me back to work in a couple of months. I was at a loss when I was injured, simply taking advice from well meaning M.D. friends. My outcome after my surgeries was pretty glum. Surgery only made me worse, and I regret it every day. As a result, I have a lot of scar tissue and it adds to my pain. I am aware my anatomy and physiology, as well have changed. We are all different, we even respond to surgery differently, in terms of how much scar tissue occurs post op.
Unfortunately, as patients we have to live in a world where medicine is not black and white, but a wide area of grey. This is why you are right, we need to read, listen, ask questions and try to find something, anything that helps us with our medical problems.
The reason for my lack of reading, was my incapacity for so many years, unable to read, watch TV, turn myself in bed, or walk.
Again, I want to thank you for reaching out to me or the other AprilRose. You helped someone today. I will let you know how I find the book. AprilRose9

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Yes. Sorry. I dropped the 9. Having a bad day today. Pain is up, spirits low and I'm feeling like I may be having side effects or tolerance issues with my meds. This s ares me as I have an appointment in 2 weeks which could be a lifetime if I'm not feeling well. I have a 7:00 AM meeting tomorrow.i ran out of Somaand will have a refill in a few hours hopefully those help the muscles calm down

T

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
TRS 1960—Sorry to hear your pain level is up. Two weeks can feel like a lifetime, when pain rears its ugly head. Hopefully, the office staff at your physician's office can squeeze you in or call you if there is a cancellation.
Apologize for all of the errors I have made in my communication. Had a very minor surgery yesterday to have the battery changed on my spinal cord stimulator. The thing was put in before the earth's crust cooled. So, was feeling a bit foggy this A.M. But, truth be told, I make embarrassing mistakes quite frequently. At least I give people a laugh.
Hope you feel better.
AprilRose9

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
I do that when I can't sleep and post in the middle of the night. I feel better. I got the soma refilled and took one hours ago. I've been taking soma forever and I ran out Wednesday. I think I was having withdrawal from it!

jselleck replied to trs1960's response:
That happens with a lot of meds. I know when I run out of certain bipolar meds I suffer a lot. (dang mail order pharmacy!!!!) Even happens with caffeine. I know my husband gets horrible headaches if he doesn't drink at least one Mt Dew a day. Yea, sounds fishy to me too, but happened to a friend in college too, when she tried to wean herself off caffeine. That's why I've started to try to make sure I always fill my meds as soon as I can. But things still happen. Like really really slow mail!!! Urrrr. But that's what I get when I try to save a buck I guess. Glad you got your med and feel better. Take care.

JSelleck

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center