Skip to content
Opiad dependance treatment commercials???
trs1960 posted:
I hear them on the radio and I just saw one on TV. What do you guys think of the commercials for opiad dependance?

Makes me feel like they're saying if you take them you're an addict. While I know there are some drug abusers out there, there are also people suffering from under medication due to the social stigma of using opiads. Instead people fill their stomaches with NSAIDs and aspirin, damaging their kidneys and livers.

There's no easy way out of pain managment.

Tim

Vickiem1 responded:
Those commercials and radio ads I understand are necessary but they also put a stigma to those who need the medication and depend on them to live any kind of normal life. The ads also don't help the people who are on these type meds for real pain issues it only hurts them because it caries a stigma with taking these meds you need treatment. So people are afraid to take their medication like prescribed because they think they will become addicted so they live in pain. Also so many drs out there think your just looking for pain meds that they make it almost impossible to get them. It's hard to know that some people think that just cause you take pain meds your an addicted, cause they see or hear these ads!

Anon_7687 replied to Vickiem1's response:
Another excerpt from my favorite book "01COpium is an herbal remedy with an even longer history than willow bark. Like aspirin, it has spawned hundreds of descendants, so aspirin and opium together are responsible for at least 95 percent of the analgesic medicines used today. Unfortunately, unlike aspirin, opium has gathered a disgraceful public image since Victorian times. For three thousand years, opium was used to produce sleep and dreams, the origin of the phrase pipe dreams. Although opium and its derivatives, morphine and heroin, have become associated in the puritanical mind with misuse by social dropouts, opium was used for centuries as a means of relaxation. Robert Clive, who conquered and organized India for the British, adopted the local custom and used opium regularly for the rest of his life."01D

Excerpt From: Wall, Patrick. "01CPain."01D Columbia University Press, 2011-09-10. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/pain/id508275775?mt=11

trs1960 replied to Anon_7687's response:
Weird. Another anon post. That was from Tim trs1960

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
Here's another long but rather applicable quote. "01CDoctors up to that time had joined the generally held opinion that narcotics were dangerous and that comfort was brought at the price of addiction to rapidly escalating doses, which eventually killed the patient. A cool, calm analysis of the effect of narcotics demolished this view and showed that doses carefully titrated to bring down pain to a bearable level led instead to a comfortable, clear-thinking patient. The success of carefully controlled and monitored narcotics for the benefit of cancer patients in pain spread to other problems, such as the control of postoperative pain and pain in childbirth. The variable herbal mixture of opium was analyzed into its constituent components in the nineteenth century. The most powerful fraction was found to be morphine, which was synthesized, while a weaker component, codeine, was also found to be effective against less severe pains. This discovery set off the expected search for related compounds in the hope that one could be found that was a pure analgesic, which could not be misused as an addictive social toy and which would not stop the patient breathing when high doses were given. The 150-year search for this pure analgesic has failed, but["026>"01D

Excerpt From: Wall, Patrick. "01CPain."01D Columbia University Press, 2011-09-10. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/pain/id508275775?mt=11

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center