Skip to content
Wow
trs1960 posted:
How's this for an excerpt!

“The eyes, head, and neck turn to inspect where the pain seems to be located. The hands explore the area. Muscles are contracted to learn what makes the pain worse and what eases it and to seek a comfortable position and then hold it. The end result is a body fixed in an overall pain posture. Muscles are in steady contraction and, as time goes by, some muscles grow while joints and tendons deteriorate because this frozen posture itself sets off local changes. The vascular and endocrine systems hold their emergency state if pain is prolonged, but these systems are not evolved to cope with this prolonged stress state. The quiet gut demonstrates its inactivity as constipation. Perhaps worst of all, sleep is impossible, and sufferers of chronic pain become completely exhausted. Even intermittent sleep deprivation drives the strongest of us into pretty peculiar ways of thinking, as any doctor on night duty and any parent with a newborn baby knows. Patients with chronic pain reach their wits’ end as their grim experience is prolonged.”

Excerpt From: Wall, Patrick. “Pain.” Columbia University Press, 2011-09-10. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/pain/id508275775?mt=11

I just read this for about the fifth time in about as many or more years.. It strikes to the point so crisp and clear that it brought me to weep ( controlled...chin up, march on) as I sit in Starbucks amongst the locals. Talk about embarrassing.

Tim

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center