Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    An_250313 posted:
    I got on SSI in 1908, Mostly due to all the pain that I am in , in different parts of my body. I had e-rays and SSI doctor look me over.
    I am still in pain in my lower back area. It has been like this for over 8 years now.
    I have been trying to get the approval for a disability scooter. But my doctors refused to do so,
    I just had a MRI and it showed normal, nothing wrong. I disagree with it. I cant even swim any more due to the pain. I cant walk, sit, stand, lay down without any pain at all, all it does is to increase pain wise. Nothing takes the pain away or reduces it at all.
    I have a hard time getting pain medicine too, even though I only took when it was really bad.
    The pain is so bad that I can hardly walk at times., and my legs go numb as well.
    Sure I am over weight, and cant move around much due to the pain that I am. Why cant they help me and understand me and my pain?
    P. Riced
    darlyn05 responded:
    See an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon/Specialist.

    I had the same problems. I was seeing a Physiatrist, pain management dr, then I went to an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon/Specialist who went over everything the other dr did and also had an updated MRI done(which was stable from the previous one). And vioala! the Orthopedic Spine Surgeon/Specialist had all the answers and I was able to find some relief. There are very few drs that know how to read and diagnose MRI's and the like concerning the back(also Neurosurgeon i believe).
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi and welcome to the support board -

    Darlyn05 gave you advise, as always. I just wanted to add to her statement - the only doc's around that can read and diagnose spine problems are Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - must be sure they are Spine Specialist as there is a difference if they are just Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon.

    And as Darlyn05 stated seeing the right kind of pain doc is beneficial too - a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist will treat from the pain up whereas a regular pain doc will treat from the symptoms - here's link showing what a PHYSIATRIST is:

    Did you receive a copy of the MRI report? I always get a copy of the film (usually on a CD now) and a copy of the written report. It's vital that you obtain copies of all your medical records including any X-rays, MRI, CT Scans etc.

    If you could let us know what the MRI shows it would help us to help you.

    It does sound as though you do have something going on especially with the numbness etc in the legs and there is a test that can be done to determine if there is any thing going on - it's a two part test - EMG and Nerve Conduction Test - this can show if there is any type of nerve damage in the legs which can also show which disc(s) in the spine that may have problems.

    All this can be determined by seeing a good PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist -

    It's vital that you see the right kind of Specialist to get the proper diagnosis.

    If you would, please let us know what the written report states.
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center