Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alternatives to Spinal Cord Stimulation Therapy?
Ms_Cupcake95 posted:
I have a family member that is looking into getting the spinal cord stimulation therapy procedure done. I have done some research it looks to be minimally invasive but after looking at the risks of having the surgery it seemed a bit dangerous. I know that all surgeries have things that are not so good about them but this one seems particurlarly dangerous. Does anyone know of or has anyone tried anything for back pain as an alternative to this surgery? If so how did it work for you and if anyone has had this surgery what was your experience with it? Please be as detailed as possible.

Thank You

bj1208 responded:
Hi Ms_Cupcake95 - welcome to the support group -

it's great you are looking out for your family member on the SCS Implant.

Just a couple of things to go over a couple of things on the SCS. first they do a "TRIAL" implant of the leads in certain areas to make sure they are in the right area. The Trial usually will last 1 day to a week to make sure or if any adjustments need to be done. Once that is done the permanent implant is done. What the SCS implant does is sends a false signal to the brain saying there is no pains.

I had the Trial done and unfortunately it did not benefit me. There are lots of people that this has helped reduce pains up to 30% or higher which is great. And there are others, like me, that did not get any results.

As far as other treatment options, it would depend on what the complete diagnosis is of your family member, what treatments have already been done, etc. Speaking with the family member's surgeon would be helpful so that you know exactly what is going on and what has been offered etc.,.

Hope this helps - keep us posted what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

bj1208 responded:
I rec'd an error report so am posting this again - it may appear 2 times - sorry if it does~~

Hi Ms_Cupcake95 - welcome to the support group -

it's great you are looking out for your family member on the SCS Implant.

Just a couple of things to go over a couple of things on the SCS. first they do a "TRIAL" implant of the leads in certain areas to make sure they are in the right area. The Trial usually will last 1 day to a week to make sure or if any adjustments need to be done. Once that is done the permanent implant is done. What the SCS implant does is sends a false signal to the brain saying there is no pains.

I had the Trial done and unfortunately it did not benefit me. There are lots of people that this has helped reduce pains up to 30% or higher which is great. And there are others, like me, that did not get any results.

As far as other treatment options, it would depend on what the complete diagnosis is of your family member, what treatments have already been done, etc. Speaking with the family member's surgeon would be helpful so that you know exactly what is going on and what has been offered etc.,.

Hope this helps - keep us posted what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

painloopy responded:
Hi Ms_cupcake95, I had a spinal cord stimulator implant put in around 2007 and it has made a big difference in my pain level. I have a lot of lower back pain, muscle spasms, and nerve issues going on and not sure what all your family member is looking to help with it so each person's response can be different. My doctor said before mine not to expect it to relieve all your pain and most people who have it done get around 50% more pain relief than without it. Mine is around 35-40% more than without meds now but didn't start out that way. As Joy indicated - they do a trial run before the permanent implant is complete. With my trial, I honestly couldn't tell how good it was going to be because having the leads put in causes soreness and having the device strapped on you and walking around for a week like that is annoying in and of itself. You can't take a shower during that time. I'm glad I went for it and decided to go with the permanent implant because in the beginning, it seemed to only help me around 20% more but now I can't live without it.
If you ask someone who has chronic pain if they had something that would help even a little with their pain they would say "bring it on".
The procedure has it's risks and the doctor goes over it with them but it is no more risky than having spinal injections or surgery. Usually a doctor will not suggest this device unless they have tried all other methods of pain relief and/or surgery to relieve the patient so you may want to ask your family member if that is the case. Also - get second opinion from other doctors to make sure that is the only option left. I have not had any issues with mine mechanically - it's made by Boston Scientific and they send reps out to "tune you up" whenever it seems like it may need adjustments in pain relief. At some point they have to change the battery in the part that is implanted in my back but so far the reps say it still looks like it has plenty of charge to it after 6 years! I hope this helps.

painloopy responded:
I forgot to add - I still have to take a lot of meds for pain and nerve issues but less than I would have if I didn't have the spinal stimulator implant. It isn't a cure to the problem - just a something to help make the problem bearable.

Ms_Cupcake95 replied to painloopy's response:
Thank you so much, it is so much better hearing about the procedure from someone who has actually had it as opposed to just hearing the facts.

tuloud54 responded:
Good for you to look out for your loved ones! I had a pain pump implanted just to the left of my belly button on Nov 27,2012. The scar is healing well but I was tender for several months.So far,so good.This was a big decision and glad I made it.Been in pain since 2007 and have tried everything but weed. My pain has gone from a constant 7 to a 4.This is huge for me.I was at the point where I was willing to risk my life versus no life. Pray you get all the facts and help get your loved one as comfortable as possible. Different device but I believe the surgeries are close.God bless

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
216 of 332 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center