Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Neck Pain Advice
    CommMajor posted:
    My boyfriend has terrible neck paid. He's tried pillows like the Extra Firm, the U shaped pillow, bolster pillow, contour pillow, the beaded pillow, etc. I was wondering if you folks knew of any other options or advice. Poor guy - can't wake up without feeling terrible. I was just curious if anyone had any advice. Thanks!
    trs1960 responded:
    I'm assuming he's a young man and has neck pain, but has not had a chronic issue lasting a year or so?

    If this is the case I'm going to go Joy's route and suggest a visit to a physiatrist. A physiatrist is a doctor of physical medicine. Kind of like a physical therapist with an MD in orthopedic medicine. If he has not had surgery and is having serious spine issues a physiatrist is the best bet to get him healing in the right direction and keep him away from an orthopedic surgeon! This is important as most chronic spine issues are attributed to I juries that were never treated correctly earlier in life. The injury lays low occasionally nagging until a trigger event blows a disc out and the injury is debilitating

    That's so nice of you to take the time and look for a way to help your boyfriend. I'm touched by that.

    CommMajor replied to trs1960's response:
    That's great advice - I never thought of a physiatrist before. My boyfriend has been to a lot of doctors, had MRIs, XRays, etc, to no avail. So, I'm not sure if another visit will be something he wants to do right now (although I'm all for it). Any suggestions for temporary relief until I can convince him to go to the doctor?
    bj1208 replied to CommMajor's response:
    Hi CommMajor - welcome to the support group -

    Like Tim (TRS1960) stated your boyfriend really needs to be seen by a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist -

    they go deeper into pain management control based on patient's needs. Also seeing the right kind of spine specialist is vital too - he should be seeing either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They are the only ones that can read film reports (MRI/CT Scan, etc) and give an accurate diagnosis. they can also offer treatment plans. Make sure they specialist is a SPINE SPECIALIST as there is a big difference between just a surgeon and a spine specialist.

    Some temporary relief may be by taking ibuprofen - they are 200mg tabs so you can take 4 at a time every 4 hours - keep in mind not to go over 4000mg daily.using heat pad and ice packs alternating. start out using ice pack for 20minutes then nothing for 20 minutes then heat pad for 20 this can be done several times a day.

    when sleeping at nite be sure if sleeping on back that the legs are supported with pillows under the knees and the head/neck area is supported (kinda like being in a reclining position) and when sleeping on sides to use pillow between knees. this will keep spine more straight and should help with some pains.

    hopefully this will help. it would help us if we knew what the results of the MRI are so we can help get him in the right direction.

    Keep us posted how he is doing and what he finds out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
    A physiatrist and pain specialist are two different specialties. Thats not to say a physiatrist can't go one and get board certified as a pain managment specialist. It's just that a physiatrist alone is a doctor of physical medicine and may not be a pain doc which in this instance is fine as he/she will get to the root of the physical problem and provide proper rehab.
    trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
    "What Are Physiatrists?

    A physiatrist is a medical doctor (M.D.) or doctor of osteopathy (D.O.), certified as a specialist in physical and rehabilitation medicine. Physiatrists (pronounced fizz-ee-at-trists) are certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

    Goals of a Physiatrist

    The goal of the physiatrist is to help a patient restore function and overcome physical limitations. Physiatrists focus on patients dealing with loss of function, disability, and physical impairments which affect daily living"
    bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
    That's true Tim - I should clarify that I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management Specialist.

    Thanks - Joy
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    mamaof8 replied to CommMajor's response:
    If his MRI is really not showing anything, it may be referred pain from something else. However, I would get a copy of the MRI report as well as either the hard copies or digital copies or both and get a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon that works with the spine. I know my report indicates much more than my primary Dr was willing to see. Also I have found that there are nutritional asspects that may be of help. If you would like me to share what I have learned please let me know.

    trs1960 replied to mamaof8's response:
    Yes MRIs are not magic and are only a tool to help look at soft tissue. You don't need obvious pathology to have severe spine pain. I thinks the numbers are about 50%

    I'd love to learn about nutrition

    bj1208 replied to carolsmithine's response:
    We always advise members to seek help with a spine specialist if the pains are persistent and have been going on for a long period of time as is in this case. It's best to be examined by a spine specialist and as part of a treatment option either physical therapy and/or chiropractor treatments can take place.

    There should be no adjustments done to the spine without knowing what the diagnosis is from the MRI/CT Scan etc .
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 replied to carolsmithine's response:
    NO. it's proven through clinical studies that chiropractors can do more harm than good. I once read a book stating how chirps have the best lobbyist in the world. They're called doctor yet don't attend medical school and their treatment often is less effective than a massage Therapist

    If he's having neck pain I would see a physiatrist who has 10 more years of study to rehab injuries He's actually called an M.D.

    Helpful Tips

    Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center