Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SI Joint Pain
aprilrose9 posted:
YI was awake all night, yet again this week, due to SI joint pain. Does anyone have any suggestions to get comfortable at night? Hour after hour, my husband is sleeping soundly and I am trying my best not to disturb his sleep.

Can't sleep on my left side, nor the right and still too painful to sleep on my back. I have had so many sleepless nights in a row. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

darlyn05 responded:
Have you tried using a pillow under your legs, and then between them by the knee area when sleeping on your side? I have two body pillows, one for each side so I don't have to drag one from side to side.

Do you think you may need to have your pain medication re-evaluated? Or perhaps a natural sleep aide to go along with them?

bj1208 responded:
Hi Aprilrose9 -

it's hard to sleep or function with the SI joint pain - I have it - both hips/buttocks/legs - nerve damage in both legs.

I do take Gabapentin (generic for Neuronton) and it does help a lot.

I agree that you should be re-evaluated with your pain doc on this. they may order a EMG-Nerve Conduction Test to see which disc(s) are causing the problem.

Having asteroid injection may help reduce inflammation the is causing you problems.

but do see your pain doc and let him/her know how bad it is.

keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 replied to darlyn05's response:
Dear darlyn05, Thank you for the good suggestions. Will check with my PM Clinic about their OTC policy. I have to report that I take ASA for occasional headache.

Thank you for your time.

Take Care,
AprilRose9

aprilrose9 replied to bj1208's response:
Dear bj1208, Good suggestions. As someone with SI joint pain, I am guessing you feel many of the same limitations I feel on an almost daily basis. I thought I was in pain when I had back and bilateral leg pain. The SI joint pain and the increased leg pain that has come with it, is so much worse than I had previously experienced. You think you are in pain--until you are REALLY in pain.

I have noticed all the good work and time you and others put into this site. Thank you.

Take Care,
AprilRose9

trs1960 responded:
Position helps, but the only way I sleep is with the help of the pharmacy Muscle relaxers ( strong) help keep the muscle from fighting you and make you drowsy. I take over 900 mg of Soma before I go to bed. Usually i need ambien to get any real sleep.

The joys of chronic pain. Not only do you suffer through the pain you get sleep deprivation as you brain actually starts to increase its operating frequency. If you can meditate it can help calm things down. Deep breathing techniques are also helpful. I'm sure you know better than most of us the do's and dont's. I sleep better in my recliner than my bed.

Tim

bj1208 replied to aprilrose9's response:
Hi AprilRose9 -

you are most welcome -

yes boy do I feel the nerve pains in my legs and hips -

I had a chiropractor treatment yesterday at my pain clinic - he is trying to get my muscles to loosen up. so he does an ultra vilot heat therapy on my lower back then he tries to massage (laying on stomach) he moves my leg over the other one and gently presses on buttocks - boy got me screaming in pain as I felt it in the lower back where my plate is (L5-S1). so he stopped the massage an said he can only do the heat therapy. I told him how my recovery was when I had surgery where the first couple months I was great - healed and fused 100% then at the 3rd month post op my pains came back worse than before surgery. He asked me again to repeat it so I did. He said that is normal for many whereas at the 3rd month there is scar tissue that has developed and it has wrapped itself around the soft tissue and also the nerve endings.

Boy that makes sense 100% as the pains I have and where they are at hits it on the mark.

And today, of all days with the major snow storm - we have 2 feet of snow!!!) I woke at 3am crying in pain - my buttocks, hips and front/back thighs were engulfed in pains. took me over 3 hours to get them calm down. I could hardly walk. and now they are at it again. I tried calling the pain clinic but they were closed so hopefully he will call tomorrow.

so yep I know this pain all too well - it sucks - they could operate to take the scar tissue out but would only cause more so it's a vicious cycle.

Hope it helps you - keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Dear TRS 1960, Thank goodness for this site, because I am looking for information like everyone and certainly have not thought of every answer.

I admit, at times I am lazy. I feel better and then want to put a bit of energy towards something other than thinking about my pain. Then I get worse, hurt so much, I can't look for answers for my problem. I can be such a dummy, at times.

I know I am having an awful week, thus unable to sleep due to the low barometric pressure in my area of the country this week. First, very cold snowy days, and now I can hear the rain and wind outside the back door.

Too many sleepless nights this week, and I know the sleep deprivation only adds to the pain.

Thanks for all the tips. Even when you are discussing other topics, some of the info relates back and gives me ideas, which can help.

Take Care,
AprilRose9

P.S. Your daugter, yeah #16 is lovely, fierce, strong and she looks like a very hardworking, talented athlete. I can see why you are a proud parent.

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center