Skip to content
Persistent upper back pain
girlsofsummer posted:
I'm a late-20's female runner. I've never had upper/middle back pain like this. It started when I was running over a month ago, and now the pain in constant. I've seen chiropractors, had a massage, iced it, stopped running/any exercising for a week, taken aleve and nothing has worked. The pain radiates up and over my shoulders and continues no matter my position (standing, lying or sitting). I wake up with the pain and it lasts all day.

This morning, I woke up with chest (lung?) pain. It could be totally unrelated but it's worth mentioning.
trs1960 responded:
I think you should see a good physiatrist to check alignment or rib issues. Get to the bottom of it before it turns into a chronic issue that is impossible to fix!

You don't need a pan doc just a good ortho. Hopefully a ortho trained in physiatrist as he can help figure it out. Could just be a rib out, but you need more then guessing.

girlsofsummer replied to trs1960's response:
Thanks, I appreciate it. The fact that it's preventing me from exercising is almost worse than the pain itself

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center