Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Getting a Primary
    TNT4145 posted:
    im in a bad position. I am as of right now receiving my rx's from my pain dr. which is morphine sulfate & loratab. My primary Dr. just informed me they are closing their office so i have to find another primary and my pain Dr. informed me i need to get my rx's switch to my primary. I cannot find another primary that will accept me because i have chronic pain along with many other drs. i have called. I dont know what to do!! How do i get my rx's if i cant find a primary?? Im in a really bad spot and dont know what to do!! Iv'e had 3 back surgeries and 1 neck surgery. I have a titanium bracket in my back and 1 in my neck. I have been thru pain shots 4 times and physical therapy 4 times and nothing works. I will be like this the rest of my life and I have accepted this and fine with it. Its not fair that irresponsible people who take pain meds make it hard for us who really, truly need them!! Im sick of it and dont want to be punished because of stupid people!! Why dont drs. accept pain patients anymore?? I dont understand what we r suppose to do?? I need help?? please????
    bj1208 responded:
    hi TNT4145 - welcome to the support group -

    It might be necessary for you to find a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management Specialist -

    they do go deeper into pain management control based on patient needs.

    I can tell you right now there is no primary physician that will prescribe MS Contin to a pain patient.

    I take MS Contin (morphine sulfate) and all my pain meds are prescribed by my PHYSIATRIST Pain Doc.

    Please do a search for this type of Specialist - Pain Management that have PHYSIATRSIT in the name.

    Hope this helps - keep us posted~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 responded:
    That's weird. Most long term scripts are forced to come from a pain doc or his PA. Since you've already had 3 surgeries I think the urgent thing would be to find a pain managment doctor. If you looking for help with meds, I would say a classic trained anesthesialogists certified in pain managment. If you want rehab focused pain managment then I would go to a physiatrist trained pain certified doc. The most critical issue is to find a pain specialist soon. Then be honest with him and build your relationship.

    I believe that your current doctor must treat you and can't just kick you to the curb with no help. If you do wind up with no care you may have to use ER but they typically only give short duration dosings.

    Best of luck.


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center