Skip to content
Pain still after surgery ?? Help
Lovey21 posted:
Hello to all- I'm new to the site as of today- I had a lumbar laminectomy on January 18th. I started PT last week- I don't feel any better then before surgery and I'm very frustrated. I had multiple injections done at a pain clinic before surgery, and PT and felt surgery was my last option, I had a small disc laying on a nerve.

I'm feeling very "blue" this week- Still on pain meds, which I don't like, but have to be.

My question- what will happen now if the surgery didn't work and PT isn't working either ???? Does anyone know what my next steps would be ? I met with my doctor in 2 weeks. How can I return to work when I can't sit ??? And, I've been at my job for 26 years.

Thank you !

bj1208 responded:
Hi Lovey21 and welcome to the support group -

I think maybe you are starting PT a little too soon after having this done, IMHO (in my honest opinion). It may take a good month to three months to heal from this and then PT as a treatment option.

Please review this site regarding the operation:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/lumbar-laminectomy-surgery-spinal-stenosis-open-decompression

be sure to follow under the little 'ads' that they have as it does continue. here's another one from Mayo Clinic -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/laminectomy/MY00674

at the end of last paragraph there is a little "next" button on the lower right so be sure to keep going to those pages and reading it all.

You should be limiting all your activities, especially if PT is irritating or hurting it should be stopped and you should be resting - sleep is the number one for recovery and healing. next would be starting out with short walks and slowly increasing when you can do so without pains.

please re-visit this with your surgeon and make sure they are not trying to get you to a step you are not ready for.

keep us posted how you are doing.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

painloopy responded:
Hi Lovey21,
I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these issues post surgery. I agree with Joy that you should not rush into too much physical activity too soon. I had the same surgery back in 2003 in November. I had to wait 6 weeks before starting PT. And even then it was not much. Before then the doctor just had me do short walks around the house every hour so that I would not get too stiff and keep my muscles from getting weak. After a month - I got cocky and was dying to get out so I had my husband take me to the mall for a longer walk. I seriously hurt myself by doing that so my doctor tried doing a steriod injection to calm down the inflammation I had caused. After another week - the disc squished out the rest of the way because I kept trying to push it too soon to get back to work so I had to get a second surgery to fix it! I look back on it now and kick myself for being so impatient. I know how it is stressful to be out of work for long but just remember - you only have one back but there are a million jobs. If you have worked at the same place for 26 years - I'm sure they have enough respect for you to allow you to heal without causing serious jepardy to your position.
When you do start PT - keep in mind that you are still healing and you will NOT get better in one week. Rarely do patients get back surgery and feel better quickly. PT takes time. You may have to do it for a long time to come in order to keep your back and core muscles strong so you don't have anymore issues. Talk to your physical therapist about what hurts and they will adjust the activities as needed. Also - talk to your doctor about what the physical therapist is doing so he can also make recommendations as to how much you should be doing at this point.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center