Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Dazed and Confused
    backinsanity posted:
    Need advise badly!! I had a 3 level fusion in June 2011. L4-L5-S1. Never felt recovered and went to a good Nuerosurgeon in Houston for second opinion in 2/2012. He did a CT scan and said it all had to come back out aand be redone. The nerve roots were compressed aat L-4, L-5 because the surgeon didn't make the foraminal opening lorger before fusing. Also screws too small for secure purchase and no fusion at lowest level. In 11/2013 I went to another Nuerosurgeon he did CT, Mylo, and X-rays. He said all has to come out and go back with 4 level fusion and repair ruptured disc at L3-L4. I went to pain Mgmt clinic in 2/2012 and they said they couldn't do anything but give me pain meds because Lumbar was too unstable for injections or nerve blocks to work. I saw them on 2/25 and did a UA and on 3/1 I'm still waiting for them to call me to prescribe pain meds. I applied for SSD in 2/2012, haven't even had a hearing yet. No insurance or income, I haven't worked since 4/2011. I got a County Health Care grant in 11/2012 to pay for recent docs and imaging but it's about gone. I'd get surgery today if I could but can't pay for it. Thx for any advise.
    trs1960 responded:
    I didn't tun your calendar numbers, but here's my few facts I know.
    SSDI almost always denies you the first coupld attempts. There's also a 6 month blackout period such that the first six months of being disabled is never covered under SSDI.
    Perhaps it may behoove you to seek legal assistance from an SSDI lawyer? They take a cut, but with limited options and noone to help you it may be worth it. I would at least call one like Swindler & Swindler Law offices specializing in SSDI. I'm' sure you've seen the commercials.

    It looks like there's a possibility of Mal Practice on the first surgery too. That could get you some financial releif. It will take awhile, but if the facts are in your favor you should be able to retain an attorney easiliy. He'll work for a percentage of your winnings so you won't need to pay him up front.

    Also, I don't know how old you are, but my last fusion T12-L3 too 18 months to recover. I'm 52, non smoker and I had previous back surgeries too.

    Best of luck.
    aprilrose9 responded:
    Dear backinsanity,

    I would see an attorney concerning your situation. Actually, I would see two attorneys. ASAP is important, due to time limits based on learning the possibility of incorrectly performed surgery. I am not an attorney, but believe you have one year from the time of "learning" something was done incorrectly in the surgical proceedure.

    A good social security disability attorney can recommend a personal injury attorney. You can file for disability without an attorney, but I would not recommend this option. My mother worked in Human Resources, and recommended I file without an attorney. When I finally did get SSDI, I had lost out on 25K. I feel this should be left to the experts. A good attorney will work hard for you and earn every penny.

    Good Luck, AprilRose9

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center