Skip to content
New to the forum, could use some advice
An_250727 posted:
Last Tuesday I received my MRI results which stated that everything was fine except for the following ...

T11/12: Minimal annular disc bulge.

L4/5: Small midline disc protrusion is present. This is minimally asymmetric to the left. Facet overgrowth is noted. There is mild central canal stenosis. Mild neural foraminal narrowing is noted.

3-4 week prior I laid about 600 sqft of hardwood in my home. So basically stooping over for hours and hours over the course of 4 days. Was sore, but workable. I was like this for about one week, went to the gym, and I had about 1 week of extreme lower back and hip pain which slowly reduced but never fully went away. I was able to walk but there was a constant discomfort in my lower back that prompted me to see my doctor. Since I used to be nearly 400lbs and have lost 180 of that, he suggested an MRI just to see the state of my spine. The above is what came back.

Then 2 days after the MRI came back I started to have the symptoms of Prostatitis (Ive supposedly had it 3 times in the last year, this making my 4th). Which got me thinking. Could some of the spinal issues cause the same things? My typical symptoms are pubic pain, mild erectile dysfunction, penile pain (in the tip), and perineal pain. This time I have also had some urination issues with the pain. The first time I had the prostatitis it was in conjunction with low grade sciatica. The ER doctor said due to the nerves being so close the prostate nerves can "back feed" pain into the sciatic. My urologist says it is unlikely that a L4/5 mild bulge would cause it and instead says it is stress related since I am worried about my back. I have lost so much weight and become so active the idea of losing that terrifies me.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Should I ask for a T spine MRI as well since the L spine scan showed the "minimal annular disc bulge?" Lastly what is a minimal annular disc bulge? My GP didn't know and I have been able to find anything online. I am assuming since there is no mention of stenosis at that level that an annular bulge doesn't push into the spinal canal? I am just so worried and confused. Help!

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

I am sorry that no one has responded and am sorry for the delayed response -

Here is a site that references several sites to help explain the diagnosis -

http://forums.webmd.com/3/back-pain-exchange/resource/10?@@

As far as having your T-Spine MRI'd that would depend on what types of pains etc., you are having and whether the physician believes it's necessary. I would let him/her know especially if you had any type of accident as you indicated.

Please let us know if you still have questions and also what your doc decides if you do have a T-Spine done~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center