Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Need help for Mum: Intense pain from neck to spine. Relief from pain?
    aidan123 posted:

    My mother is in her mid 70's. Arthritis is in her side of the family. Recently she has had intense pain from her neck down her spine to base of back. This is continuous and all day.

    She is using heat packs, walks as much as she can to take mind off it but it is overpowering.

    Went to consultant yesterday and he put her on Solpadeine for the moment while waiting for X-Ray results taken yesterday also.
    Im just wondering has anyone come across this kind of back pain? Most i have heard is neck pain radiating across shoulder or lower back pain down leg but not pain from neck to lower back.

    Appreciate any pointers as to what this might be & any relief options if any

    Aidan ( Ireland )
    bj1208 responded:
    hi Aidan123 - welcome to the support group -

    It's hard for us to know exactly what is going on with your mom as most of our members are in the USA. We very seldom receive posts from outside the US.

    What your mom needs to do is make sure she is seeing the right kind of physician - and not knowing what type of professional professions are in Ireland - she should see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - professionals that deal with the spine only.

    Normally, MRI's are done to see the spine and soft tissue to see if maybe bulging disc(s) or Degenerative Disc Disease may be causing extra pains. She does have arthritis and this may play a part in the rest of her spine.

    You will have to wait and see what the X-ray shows and find out what the next step is.

    I don't know if this helps but these are the guidelines for here in the US. If they can do an MRI on your mom's spine that would be great.

    Please let us know what they find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    Kharma replied to bj1208's response:
    I feel so sorry that we have chosen incomprehensible language
    Has commissioned experts to translate
    Can be read now.

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center