Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    wrong diagnosis for back pain?
    An_250740 posted:
    I have went to the doctor several times over the last year for severe back o ain. First it was apparently an issue with my sciatic nerve, that should go away soon. Well today I went back to the doctor because my pain has not went away, according to this new doctor it was never my sciatic nerve, its inflamation in my si joint. (The one that connects your spine to your pelvis). Neither of these doctors have done xrays or mris. And now im suposed to get shots in my back wednesday. Im pretty sure its a herniated disc, or spinal stenosis. These doctors only feel around on my back a little and get a diagnosis? My symptoms are: severe pain, throbbing, the pain does not get better with heat or ice, it is my lower spine, it radiates to my left leg and pelvis, it causes my leg to go numb and is much weaker now (I constantly fall from it giving out). And this all started from a small motorcycle accident. Please any advice or help!!
    bj1208 responded:
    HI and welcome to the support group -

    first - postpone the shots -

    second - you need to see the right kind of doc - either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They are the only ones that can read film reports (MRI/CT Scans etc) and can properly diagnose spine issues. Once they have diagnosed you they will let you know what the treatment options are. If shots are needed then ask to be referred to a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management Specialist.

    they go deeper into pain management based on client needs.

    I hope this helps - please let us know what you find out.
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center