Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nerve Conduction Test
backbreaking posted:
Anyone here had a nerve conduction test? If so, how long does it take and do I need to take something for pain before I have it done?

bj1208 responded:
hi Backbreaking - welcome to the support group -

yes I have this test done yearly as I have severe nerve damage in both legs.

There are 2 parts to the test. EMG and Nerve Conduction Test

The Nerve Conduction Test basically where they will attach small electrodes to the nerve endings i.e they will measure from the knee to the ankle and mark the spots at the knee and ankle and attach the electrodes at those areas. they will send small jolts to those areas and it will receive a printout of the results.

The EMG Test is done in same fashion where instead of the electrodes it's done with a small needle that is inserted into the muscle and nerve areas and it produces a printout.

These 2 tests will determine if there is any nerve damage and also will be able to tell which disc(s) are associated with it.

the test last no longer than 15-25 minutes. it's more uncomfortable than hurts.

hope this helps - let me know if u have further questions~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center