Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Hey guys, could use some advice. Possible trigger
    jselleck posted:
    Morning my darling friends. I saw my back specialist yesterday, and due to my continuing problems and young age, he now wants me to see a pain specialist. I've never seen one, nor do I know anyone personally who has. Would appreciate any advice on what questions to ask, what to expect, etc. You guys have been so great with advice in the past, but I have no idea what to expect and I've heard some "horror" stories from other people on other boards, so I'm a little scared. Thanks in advance. You all are awesome!!! Take care and have an awesome week-end.

    bj1208 responded:
    Hi J -

    #1 is you will need to bring your most current MRI/CT Scan etc.

    BE SURE TO BE REFERRED TO A PHYSIATRIST PAIN MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST - there is a big difference between PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist and a Pain Clinic

    Once they have reviewed the reports they will sit down with you and let you know what treatment options they will do. those could include steroid injections and/or pain shot injections, Most PHYSIATRIST Pain Management clinics will have their own doctors that include physical therapy, chiropractor, holistic care, just to name a few (mine has a boatload of specialists). So they will go over what they plan to do and normally will not do same treatments as what previous doctors have done if they do not work

    Mine reviewed all my medical records from all previous treatments and determined that steroid injections do not work on me and also found out that I had too many allergic reactions so they do pain shot injections (pain med and numbing agent).

    Questions you should ask would be directed at what type of treatment they decide to do i.e., where it will be injected at, what will be injected, what types of therapy will be done etc., so you will need to wait and see what they determine your treatment plan to be.

    Hope this helps - let us know how things are going~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 responded:
    A Pain Specialist is a board certified MD from many backgrounds. Most seem to be anesthesialogists. It really doesn't matter so much where they came from, they are doctors that have specialized training for long term pain treatment. That is "chronic" vs. "acute" pain. Years rather than weeks. They are typically the doctors that will prescribe a long term medication regiment. Most non pain specialist will prescribe the typical week to a month of analgesics and then the DEA starts to look at their prescribing patterns.

    To me, the most important thing is to find a pain specialist that you can bond with. One that has an open mind and will not just write an rx and send you down the road.

    If possible maybe you know someone that has had experience with a prospective pain doc.

    Best of luck, keep us posted and ask away with any questions.

    jselleck replied to trs1960's response:
    Hi Tim and Joy,

    Thanks for the info and advice. Right now I'm waiting for my doctor's assistant to contact the clinic he wants me to attend. She's been out sick since Friday, poor thing. There's a nasty bug going around my part of Texas. Once I have that info I can look them up on my insurance's web page and get more info. Something that is helping is my darling husband bought me a massage chair cover that is to die for. I've wanted one for years and the Aldi's we shop at was getting rid of the last of their stock and we got one for $35. I love it!!!!! Will keep you all informed. Right now I just wish it was all over. My back is driving me crazy and my bipolar is creeping into the danger zone. Sigh. If it's not one thing it's another. Take care.

    trs1960 replied to jselleck's response:
    Good luck.


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center