Skip to content
Back Pain, in the corner with no where to turn
An_250917 posted:
Greeting's All: I'm new to this forum. I'm a disabled vet. I spent 26 years in the Air Force, which is where I got hurt. I've had 2 ddysectomys on my L5/S1 before I had a spinal fusion on the same area. This all occurred around the 2001 time frame. Right after my spinal fusion, I still had pain on my disc above that surgical area, which later was found to be ruptured. So they gave me another dysectomy on that level as well (again 2001). June of last year (2012), that same disc above my fusion ruptured and again they did another dysectomy on me. Recently though - I've begun to have massive pain on either side of my back where the muscles run along my area of my original surgery. I will be doing an activity when all of a sudden it feels as if my spine is collapsing on itself. I kind of fall to my knee's, then for a few days after suffer with paralyzing muscle pain, and I'm unable to stand straight. This has occurred on both my left and right side. Has or does this happen to anyone else - can anyone tell me what is wrong - I need help. Heat helps, pin meds make me itch and feel like I'm wired awake - and I'm at a lost and wits end. Thanks for reading this - Rich

trs1960 responded:
Thank you for your service to country.

I hope the VA treats you well.

My opinion: I've had similar pain issues with a signifigants length of spinal fusion the small muscles that attack to the spinus process (sp?) don't move and will have terrible spasm problems. It sounds to me like good theraputic treamtent is needed. It would seem that the lack of proper post surgical care has allowed you to just continue to damage your spine with what we call the dominoe effect. When you fuse two vertabrae the forces of shock and articulation are displaced to the discs above and below. If not treated correctly your spine will just coninue to rupture discs above and/or below the initial injury.
I think you need medical treatment and a good place to start would be an orthopedic spine, a physiatrist spine, or neurologist.

Muscles have more nerve endings than bones or discs and thus muscle spasms can be extremely painful.

Best of luck,

Tim

bj1208 responded:
HI and welcome to the support group -

Want to say a big THANK YOU to you and all the military for keeping the US safe~~

I agree with TRS 1960 - this does sound like you are having a lot of muscle spasm and therapeutic treatments may help. It may also benefit you to have a current MRI done if it's been more than a year since last one. This way they can see if anything else is going on.

Please let us know what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center