Skip to content
Prolotherapy? Just suggested to me
findingpeacewithpain posted:
Hello, I am back after a long break. I have not been doing well since we last spoke. 2 bunion surgeries last year, diagnosed with sarcoidosis with a biopsy in the neck, BAstrups disease in my back above the lombar fusion (or kissing spine disease). And still no relief.
In fact I have more symptoms that I may get into later but I was wondering about this latest idea, I will do anything.
Anyone tried prolotherapy and if so how did it work? It will be done in my lower back as the vertebrae are very loose apparently!
Let me know, I would sure appreciated it.

Debsbears responded:
Welcome back I am sorry to hear about all that you have been through and are still going through.

I googled it because I never heard of this - much that I read sounds good. They do not use any drugs so it is not approved by FDA and many insurances do not pay for this procedure either.

http://www.prolotherapy.org/what-is-prolotherapy/

I would start with my insurance first and see if it is covered. I does sound promising and I hope it works for you keep us posted.

trs1960 replied to Debsbears's response:
I researched this years ago and almost tried it. The theory goes (as I recall) that injecting an antagonist into the soft tissue injury will re-start the healing process. With little blood flow the soft tissue injuries only heal so much and then stop. The injections simulate or stimulate the tissues and aggrevate them. This causes healing to continue. It has been proven to have positive results.
Back in the civil war they would actually take hot pokers and stick them into the body to perform a much more invasive yet similar process!
There is also something called PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) in which they take your blood and spin it down in a centerfuse then re-inject it as the antagonist to the injured tendons (etc) to do the same as described above.
This is also FDA approved and I know it works...at least on elbows. I had tendonitous in my left elbow for almost a decade. Every 18 months or so I would get a steroid injection until they quit working I had the PRP done a year ago and it worked great.
Best of luck,
Tim

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center