Questions on spinal pain
An_250929 posted:
I had two shattered discs in my lumbar region verified by an MRI and EEG (after the surgery, the surgeon told me the damage looked like chicken salad), but the straight leg test caused no additional pain (the pain before the surgery was severe) before the surgery. How common is this?

I'm also curious as to how common it is to, for lack of a better word, 'burn out your 'ouch''. I was in severe pain (my body felt like a sack of shattered glass) over an extended period of time. The pain is still there, but I have to think about it to feel it. Mostly, now, I know when the pain is worse because it drains my energy and sucks the life out of me and messes with my mental clarity, but the 'ouch' is something I have to pay attention to to know it's there.

Thirdly, the pain was less severe in Ohio than in the Rocky Mountains.

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

In regards to ur question on pains on ur legs differing before and after the surgery. Sometimes nerve endings can heal themselves taking up to a year or longer to heal.

As far as 'burning' the ouch - there are treatments referred to as Nerve Ablation treatments where the nerve endings are burned to try and help with the pains. This treatment is not very effective and as most have found out the nerve endings can grow back even as fast as a couple of weeks.

The reason for the pains being less severe in OH than in the Rocky's is first the elevation and second it's colder there - it's actually a different type of cold as there is no humidity versus OH having lots of humidity (I live in MO but had lived in Colo Springs for 7 yrs)

Hope this helps - let us know if u have other questions.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Justin_Rocket replied to bj1208's response:
I wasn't clear in my questions, let me try again.

My first question should have been phrased, "how common is it to have a herniate disc or two and have no additional pain on a straight leg test?"

My second question is a bit more complicated. A person living near a busy street may eventually learn to no longer hear the street noise. Likewise, a person experiencing chronic pain may eventually learn to ignore the chronic pain. Unless I'm paying attention to it, I can ignore the pain, usually, but I can't ignore the side effects of that pain (e.g. exhaustion, difficulty focusing, etc.) just the 'ouch'. How common is that?

bj1208 replied to Justin_Rocket's response:
Hi again~~

Okay let me see if I can answer these questions -

First - I'm not really sure what you mean by a straight leg test. Are you talking about an EMG Nerve Conduction Test? the only answer I can give is normally when a disc is bulging sometimes it presses on a nerve root where it may cause leg pains. and the only way that there is no pain would be that the bulging discs are not pressing on a nerve root.

second - I think you are wanting an answer to Pain Tolerance versus Pain Threshold - here's an article that may help

http://fibrocarecenter.com/2010/07/pain-threshold-vs-pain-tolerance/

It can be very common for this as some people may have chronic pains where they cannot get out of bed it hurts so bad and others that it hardly bothers them

Hope this helps~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~