Skip to content
L4-L5 Post Diskectomy
YouDontLookSick2013 posted:
Hello,

I about about 7 weeks post op from a severe herniation (dr said it was the biggest he has ever seen) and last Thursday I was standing in line at the grocery and some lady ran her cart straight into my back. Good thing I was hanging onto the cart as it hurt and took my breath away. I am now very scared as I have been in a large amount of pain once again. I was doing pretty good until this point. Now it hurts to walk again, pain down leg etc. I called my surgeon today and waiting for a call back I called after 4 and they usually return call next day if its after 4. I am wondering if I could have done damage to where he operated. Ugh! I was so careful as this was the right side of the disc. I had two herniation on the left side prior. Surgeon was really trying to avoid a fusion if possible.

bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

first - what type of operation did you have? It takes time to heal from surgeries and bed rest is the best healing process. Also your incision may not be healed all the way.

Just as an FYI I had a Fusion at L5-S1 (2/25/08) and I was restricted to bed as rest is the best healing process. I was also told not to be driving and/or riding in car (unless going in for post op care) as there could always be something that can cause the fusion to not take. It wasn't til after my 3rd month post op to where I could drive.

I would call again in the morning if you do not hear from your surgeon. This could be a sign of overdoing it, or being hit with the cart but the surgeon will be the only one to examine you and diagnose this.

Until you can get in to see ur surgeon try alternating heat pad and ice packs. rest, be sure to follow ur surgeons orders for after post op care.

Keep us posted what you find out~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center