Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I had a phone interview with disability insurance
trs1960 posted:
She says I see you've been working another seven years since your last surgery and your boss never wrote you up for poor performance so it appears you've been able to do your job. I told her so I'm damned if I do and get fired if I don't? Yeah I've been working. I have family that needs to eat so no matter the misery I continued on. My doctors have assured me they cannot deny my disability. I have too much spinal damage and objective proof

Well we'll see

Tim

bj1208 responded:
Hey Tim -

WTF??? I'm sorry and excuse my FRENCH but so what if you have been working since ur last surgery and what's the big deal that you haven't been written up??

I was never asked this at all. Do you have ur disability attorney?? did you let them know about the questions asked?it would seem that if there are any questions that they would go thru the attorney.

Hope everything works out - keep us posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Joy :0 This is just the insurance coordinator. She has no real authority and feels its her duty to tell me to go to work so they don't have to pay me insurance money. She was my coordinator seven years ago and all I know for sure is that I do not trust her and that attitude just makes mine worse

T

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
She's the short term insurance coordinator . She works for our insurance company and handled my case for nearly a decade so she knows I'm hurt and instead of appreciating what I've done she acts like she knows me better than my doctor. Both of my doctors have told me they'll support and I've already done more than expected so it might be a fight, but they'll back me. I just worry about my family being insured

T

aprilrose9 replied to trs1960's response:
Dear Tim, The phone interview is for the benefit of the insurance company, recorded, and questions slated to get info for themselves to help in non-payment on the claim.

My husband has worked both sides of the aisle where insurance is concerned, but still has a negative view of the industry. He had something to add to the discussion after I told him about your post. He had to get a state license in property and casualty insurance, due to a specific position at one time and said if it is not specifically EXCLUDED, then it is debatedly INCLUDED and thus open for discussion. As Joy (I love that name) pointed out, have your attorney speak with the insurance coordianator. Just because she doesn't have power in the situation, she is fishing for info to be recorded on tape, to use in non-payment of the claim.

Stop being such a nice guy. Don't talk to these people, don't try to be HELPFUL and of course do not put anything in writing. You are a smart guy, there must be a reason you spoke to her on the phone. Did they claim this was the first step, did they catch you off guard or is it prohibitively expensive to get an attorney. All these possibilities come to mind.

I have had to deal with insurance companies, their attorneys and the others who become involved, who know which side their bread is buttered on, and can feel for you in this situation. I know your family means the world to you and the medical problems, the pain the bills and the professional situation has been stressful.

All of your friends here at this site, are with you and hope things will work out smoothly and quickly, without too much trouble from the insurance company. I have found attorney fees to be worth the money in most cases.

Take care, your friend A-R9

trs1960 replied to aprilrose9's response:
I wasn't that nice as soon as she made a comment that implied since I've been working without bad reviews. I told her that is no statement about my suffering and misery. I also told her that both my doctors have told me that continuing to work is killing me and I should go on disability. I asked if she thought she could sit on the phone all day with half her back broken?

Dear Tim. You have so much medical documentation, the recent high BP with the increased pain from working each day and I am sure you have the most recent BP from the short disruption in work. Hopefully, you have proof of a decreased BP while at home for a couple of weeks.

I have and old friend who went through the same thing with an insurance company. He was an ER physician and his BP went frighteningly high at work and decided to collect on his disability insurance in his early fifties. Lost track of him and not sure what the outcome of his case was, but his attorney seemed to feel positive about his chances in court.

You read alot, so I am sure you have seen the NIH study concerning pain and the statistics on decresed life span. If I rememer correctly, it is about 10 years with serious chronic pain. Of course, on bad days, weeks months and years, that statistic of a shorter life can look good to many of us in great pain. Don't quote me and you probably know far more about the subject and the data included in these types of reports.

All I know is, disability insurance is very costly. Hope things get better. I feel like we are always saying this to each other and everyone else on this site. Thank God for hope.

Take care, A-R9

My boss and I were discussing the insurance coordinator today. I came by the office after my doc visit. My boss was upset and wanted to know her name etc. The company pays for these services and he was upset about the way she treated me.

My womanly has been good to me and they even mentioned trying to higher me as a consultant with medical benefits. I told them it's all about the numbers. I have to do what's best for my family after that I will do anything I can for the company, but family first.

My work is good and even HR wants to help me and retain me as an employee for my knowledge. It's the darn insurance companies that make things impossible!

Dear Tim, This is very exciting! I am not surprised to hear you are highly regarded and they are making an effort to keep you with the company. The numbers are always important, but you know my situation and trying to go back to your profession in this economy is ...(you know the story). but, I am excited about the possibility of options in your future.

I know you have pushed, pushed, pushed yourself for far too many years. I hope something happens to make the decision easy for you and your family.

A-R9

I need a crystal ball to know what national healthcare will look like in 2014?

Dear Tim, What is going on? You do not sound like yourself. Did I write something stupid and make you angry? A-R?

I'm sorry. I've been busy and trying to figure things out. It's all about medical insurance for my wife and our two daughters. And to add insult to injury she's telling me she wants out of the marriage. I don't know what to make of her. I can understand I've changed and perhaps she doesn't love as she did when I rode my white horse in my shiny armour. Now it's rusty and seems to fit well in my recliner and not on my horse. I will never willingly divorce as that is a promise to God, a promise to her and our two girls. Butt I can't keep her here. It's Just sad that I've worked so hard for her and she doesn't love me any more and doesn't understand the difficult life I've fought for her and the girls while having half my back fused and other medical issues. I'm hoping we can get some counseling. I think she's just had too much. I can't blame her for that. Living with me would be difficult.

It was her brother who was responsible for my near death experience. I think she's living in a bit of denial and perhaps self loathing.

I'm just looking at numbers that will work out best for her and the girls. The big unknown is the effect of national healthcare system. My AGI* would drop from over $100k/yr to $26k/yr. this should have a huge positive impact on my kids scholarship and grant money It's a long story, but the $100k/yr is still burying me debt. I want my girls to get a BS or better. I would give my life that!

So the scary part is insuring my wife and my kids through college. Just so many un knows, but I think working until I kill myself with BP over 220/120 is not the.smart thing to do.

I can't change the way my wife thinks or feels, but i will never begrudge her for all of the kindness she showed me earlier she's been through hell and took care of me and the girls. I will always split what I have to take care everyone of us.

So I'm crunching numbers, praying and trying to take care of my family.

I would never get mad at you April just give a shout if you ever have a question about my health

God bless Tim .,

Dear Tim, Oh, that awful number crunching, which those of us who are dealing with chronic pain, know all too well. Funny how the numbers always seem to hit in the red.

I have been so worried about you. You scared me, since you work so hard, along with b.j. to give good direction to many people on this site. You seem to check in frequently, offering good info and when you are absent from the site, my imagination goes in many directions.

The more info you offer, the more I shake my head. You were injured due to an error made by your brother-in-law? Oh! I can't even respond to that issue. Your grace in this whole situation is amazing. Question: Were you helping him at his house, or was he helping you at your house?

I am going through the same issue at my home. Six weeks ago, my husband came to me with his plan. I have no family, no money, in the basement financially and few friends. When I say I was completely bedridden for 7 years, I was not an exaggerator on those facts. After over 20 years of disability and as you age, you loose so much and have lost many connections. It is not a result of being someone who cannot get along with others, but a symptom of the extent of disability.

You are very kind, saying many positive things about all the members of your family. I feel differently about my situation. Looked at low income housing and I can't afford the rent. Would not have the money to eat. After years of having four cars, one a Viper and one a Porsche(neither I was ever allowed to drive), we have one car. Over 110,000 miles, bad brakes and a cracked windshield. Could not count on this to get me to the doctor ect.

Hope your situation gets better or is better than mine. Take care. April-Rose9

Yep, chins up. March on. As for the accident, we drove 1,000 miles to his house and he says "hey let's go snowmobiling" My wife told me not to go without resting! She was right. We were high up in the Rockies and my bro in laws friend cut down a tree while two of us were snowmobiling in the same area. I didn't even know he had a chain saw...perhaps some sleep would have left more observant?

I came done our hill we were climbing and the lights went out. The tree broke the helmet and I had a subdural hematoma, eight broken ribs, a crushed lung and I was buried still under the tree and feet of snow.

I don't remember anything, but a few minutes of the next few months. They dug me out and drug my lifeless body out from under the snow. I came to, but I was bleeding internally in my head and lung.

They drove me to urgent care where they tubed my lung and put me on a helicopter to Billings MT trauma ctr.

It was stupid not malicious so I never thought about fault or blame. My bro in law had ridden to the next valley to explore and this kid he brought with just decided to start cutting down a tree for camp firewood.

I thought he was just a not so bright kid and for the first years I just felt happy to be alive. Turns out the kid's family is pretty rich owning mini-marts and gas stations. I waited too long to sue and it's not really in my nature, but he took away my ability to provide for my family.

Thank God I at least have long term disability. I think I would still make enough money to support my wife and me. My only taxable income would be SSDI so my AGI would be around $26k/yr. my girls with 4.0 GPAs would likely get more scholarship or even grant money with their father on disability? As it is, I make just enough money to continue to get deeper in debt No easy answers

Tim

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
The big question is what happens in oct when the healthcare exchanges start? Nevada has their's started and it will definitely cover my family, but at what cost? My employer will continue to provide my family's medical insurance until Dec 2014, but they only guarantee my job for 6 months and an equivalent job for the next 6 months. I know this is a very good benefit and I can continue to pay for my family plan in 2015, but it's about $2,000 per month!

It will be interesting to see what national healthcare in the form of health insurance exchanges does for us?

T

Helpful Tips

how long does methadone stay in your system
need to know how long methadone stay in your system More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center