Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Severe lower back pain most of the day and i'm only 31
    An_241720 posted:
    I have been having severe lower back pain that is a burning tightening sensation all the way across my back for about the past 5 years, begining during my pregnancy with my son. The pain would come and go and be gone more often that it was there but about 6 months ago, it started getting worse. At this point, it is there most of the day and the triggers are standing too long, lifting children (which is my job), bending over to get things or sitting too long in the wrong position. When the pain comes, it takes every thing i have to be able to move to switch positions into a stretch or sit down to rest or even change my sitting position. The pain can I am allergic to NSAIDs and pain pills such as tylenol 3, Loretabs, and Perkasets have absolutely NO effect on the pain can last from minutes to hours at a time, depending on how quick i am to being able to stretch or sit when it comes on. Is there any type of muscle relaxer that is not an NSAID that i can ask my doctor to try or do i need to request some sort of test to find out what is really going on in there? Thanks so much for any help you can offer!!!
    bj1208 responded:
    HI and welcome to the support group -

    I think what you need to do is see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist and be examined. a current MRI or CT Scan will need to be done to see what is going on with your spine. The Spine Specialist are the only ones that can accurately read film results of the spine, give diagnosis and offer treatment plans for you.

    As a rule of thumb, with spine issues try not to bend over but to squat down. use desk, chair or countertop to help you get back up, if needed.. when sleeping at nite use extra pillows - between your knees when sleeping on ur sides or under your knees when sleeping on your back (use extra pillows behind your head too kinda like a reclining position) this will help keep the spine more straight and reduce pians.

    please do see a spine specialist as soon as you can. You need to get diagnosed so that you know what your options are.

    Please keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    spidermonkey29 replied to bj1208's response:
    Thank you so much! I will start looking around town and attempt to get my primary dr to write a referal. Especially after today when the whole right bottom side of my back went numb, like it was asleep, for about 30 minutes! I appreciate your help!

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center