Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    I have lower back pain?
    koolaidkuku posted:

    I'm new here so I'm not sure how this works...anyways...
    In 2008, I had a back accident (fell while ice skating) and I went to the doctor's office and all they said was it was a strained vertebrae in the lower back. I went to Physical Therapy and was fine after that. Every year since then, I exercise or try to walk and stretch to take away the back pain and it worked. These past few months (3 or 4?) my back pain has gotten worse, to the point where sometimes it hurts to turn ...the pain also extended throughout my right hip. My mom said I shouldn't go to the doctor for something like this but it hasn't felt this bad in a while. Should I go see my doctor about something like this?

    girl in pain (aka Kuulei)

    Take the Poll

    Should I go see a doctor? D:
    • yes
    • no
    View Poll Results
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    yes I would go to the doctor, but you should see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - this does not mean surgery - but they are the only ones that know the spine and will be able to order proper tests (MRI/CT Scan etc) accurately read them, give you diagnosis and let you know what the best treatment plan is.

    When you fell you could have damaged a disc(s) and with the physical therapy that may have strengthen the muscles around the area to help protect it. Over the years the disc(s) can get worse and may affect other areas. Especially if the disc(s) are bulging and pressing on nerve roots that run thru the hips down the legs.

    Only the spine specialist can let you know what is going on with your back. Please be sure they are spine specialist.

    Please keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 responded:
    I agree with Joy and furthermore I think this is a perfect fit for a good physiatrist. He/she could diagnose what is causing the pain and rehabilitate you before you end up with a serious spine problem..

    Trust me. joy is right and I agree. You only have one virgin back so take care of it before its too late!


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center