Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Severe disk disease
SCW6758 posted:
I I have disk disease and cannot find a doctor to help me with it ive,
Had the shots they did not work.Does anyone know a good dr
that can help me in the baltimore,md area.It would be helpful,My
legs hurt so bad that i have a hard time standing and walking.
every dr i go to says they can not do nothing for me and pain mngmt
only wants to give me shots.With no meds i can not take this pain
no more its been this way for years.I am unable to work due to the
severe pain.When i go to ER they tell me to take tylenol.I have
three mri^s and the drs still wont help me out.i am at witts end
and do not know were to go.Can some one refer me to a good dr
that knows about this type of back pain.THANK YOU!
SherrieSnow1970 responded:
Have you checked with Johns Hopkins to see if they have any programs? Some hospitals have "study groups" or medical testing available for qualifying candidates. You may want to contact them and ask if any programs are available in the area. They may be able to help you there or give you information for other places.

I wish you the best of luck! Back pain is no joke! I've been living with mine for 21 years.
darlyn05 responded:
What type of Dr(s) have you seen? What type of tests have you had done? I originally went to see my PCP, he did x-rays and ordered an MRI with the results going to a Physiatrist in pain mgmt, After getting no where with the Physiatrist as to why I was in such pain and no results in reliveing the pain, I went to an Orthopedic Spine Specialist where I got my proper diagnosis and from then on my Physiatrist found better pain relief mgmt for me.

What I have found out, along with many others, is that an Orthopedic Spine Specialist is basically the only type of Dr(Neurosurgeon too I think) that can proper read MRI's and other testing of the spine.

I'm guessing you have more going on then what you are being told, as was the case for me. Check with you insurance for In-Network and Out-of-Network Orthopedic Spine Specialist service providers. Or search in your area on-line, by phone, family/friend referral or the phone book. Also try some teaching universities as thy generally offer services to the public.

Good Luck!
darlyn05 replied to darlyn05's response:
PS If you are not experiencing ANY relief from the shots, epidurals you need to tell your Dr that, and what ever he is doing or having you do is not working, so what other options are there - ask him/her. You can decline on getting the epidurals/shots. That is what I did, I just said no, and I did not get any grief from my Physiatrist, pain mgmt Dr, for refusing it. And as mentioned, with the proper diagnosis I was given, the shots would've done nothing except waste money and time and more pain and suffering.
unhappybeoch responded:
I hope you get this. I have degerrative disc disease. And was told surgery isn't going to help me. I was 22 and Ready end it all. But I'm almost 50 now, and still walking, and living my life. My back is worst and pain is horrible at times. I keep all my mri films and now discs, reports and any paper work with it, incase I have to change doctors. And I pretty much live on oxycodone. And dealing with a pain control clinic. I had the Shot and it caused me more problems. I get bad nerve mussel cramps. The last one messed up my stomach and my specialist are trying to find what happened there, cause I am having problems eating. food to me is pain now. I live by chicago and I go to UIC pain management. I only go to ER if some thing else is wrong, not with my back. Yes it hurt to walk and it even hurts to sit still. But Since being told at 22, I would be in a wheel chair in 10 years. And still not in that wheel chair at 49. I just keep pushing on. The pain will never go away, but talk to your doctor about getting oxycodone. If your doctor won't give them to you, knowing your in pain 24/7. Find a different doctor. You need to get all your test resaults from hospital. And look for a different doctor. If you are on an insurance plan, that picks your doctor. call and complain. Tell them, would they like to wake up and go to sleep crying in pain. They may call your doctor and tell him to change his additute with you. It's hard, trust me. I know how hard it is to find a good doctor, or at least one that works with you and the pain we deal with daily. But just keep looking or even calling doctors and see if they deal with people with back problems. I hope you find help with the pain. I think there are a lot of us looking for help with this pain.
bj1208 replied to unhappybeoch's response:
hi unhappybeoch - welcome to the support group -

we, as members of the support group, try not recommend any types of meds as this would appear to some physicians as being a pill popper only looking for the high of the med itself. this med is very, very addictive (i take it) and it's one of the hardest meds to come off of.

The best thing to suggest is seeing a PHYSIATRIST PAIN MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST -

they go deeper into pain management control (more so than regular pain clinics) and work based on patients needs. Also seeing the right kind of spine specialist is vital too either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist as they are the only ones that can read film reports (MRI/CT Scans etc) give accurate diagnosis and offer treatment options.

I hope this helps - there are numerous treatment options available and the PHYSIATRIST Pain doc can go over that too.

keep us posted how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~
unhappybeoch replied to bj1208's response:
I'm dealing with a pain management clinic. And have seen a lot of spine specialists and neurosurgeons that are known world wide. I am willing to be experamented on, if they can give me a garrenty that the pain will go away. I have also talk to people who have had their nerves cut at neck, so the pain goes away. And from what I hear from them, it works better then pills or any treatment doctors are willing to do. And the term pill popper upsets me, cause if you don't have the pain, we do. They have no right judging us. I have gone there all the none narcodics, they have and sorry none have worked for me. I even went threw street drugs and none have worked for me. For over 30 years of dealing with this pain and each year it gets worst. Sorry if you think I gave the wrong advise, but I'm going by how I feel and what I have been threw and still going threw. And I think I'm doing good on oxycodone, cause all the specialist wanted to give me morphine. That pretty much when I would look for a different one. I don't want stronger pills, I want the pain to go away.
Sorry again. Take care. And may god help you get threw your pain. And yes I am kinda a nut case but 30 years of pain will do that to you.
bj1208 replied to unhappybeoch's response:
Oh no, I didn't mean that you were a pill popper and am sorry if I came across this way - what I meant is some doctors tend to look upon ones that go in suggesting to be put on a certain med as being a pill popper.

I can fully understand where you are coming from on the pain -Oxy is a very strong pain med and if I didn't have it I would not be able to get out of bed. My Physiatrist Pain doc is the one the has me on this and morphine - I have been on the same dosage for the last 5 yrs and am getting immune to it. Unfortunately I am also at the highest dosage amount allowed to be taken. My next round of treatment will be either the SCS Implant or Pain Pump Implant. I've tried all other treatment options (even SCS Trial) and have not had any good results with them.

I think we can all agree with you - we just want the pain to go away~~I do wish you luck on what treatments you are having done. Please let us know how u are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 50 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center