Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Partial leg paralysis
rockymtn65 posted:
Hello, I am new to this forum, however, I had a lumbar laminectomy and discectomy done one week ago. I am unable to raise my right heel off the floor from a flat position. I have numbness and weakness also. I only had pain and transient numbness before my surgery. The MD says give it time. I am really concerned. Should I be?

bj1208 responded:
Hi Rockymtn65 -

during spine surgery the nerves can be touched and/or moved slightly and may take time to repair themselves. Sometimes this can take up to 6 months (or longer) for the repair to happen.

you should start to feel difference after a couple of months. if it gets worse there is a couple of tests that can be done: EMG and NERVE CONDUCTION TEST - these check the nerve impulses showing whether there is any nerve damage or not.

take it easy and do as the doc says for post op care. the best medicine for recovery is rest, rest, rest and more rest - walking is also good but check with your surgeon to see when you can start to walk.

keep us posted how you are doing~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center