Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    To work or not to work
    An_250929 posted:
    I had spinal surgery about two years ago and since then I've had back pain ever since - eventually resulting in my losing my job this past November. My doctor told me this past August that I was unlikely to ever get any better.
    Since November, I've been much more passive physically and my pain level has decreased. I don't know if it is because I've healed since then or if it is due to my not being as physically active (I spend most of my time in a recliner, though that hurts, it's not as bad as it used to be.) My problem is that I submitted disability paperwork around February of this year. My disability has not yet been approved. I've thought about going back to work just to see if I could handle it, but, I can't afford to start my paperwork all over again if I find out after a day or a week or a month that I can't handle it. I know that once my disability is approved that they allow a person to have a trial period to try to return to work. But, do they offer such a trial period while the disability paperwork is being processed?
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    those are very technical questions. Did you hire an attorney to help you with filing your disability? if not normally the disability filing may not be approved as they usually do deny first filings in order to weed out those that really do not need disability.

    if you don't have an attorney you should hire one - make sure they deal in disability cases only. they will not charge a fee if you are denied but will take a certain percentage of your back pay (there is a cap on it). Ask the attorney these questions and/or the disability office.

    not being able to work (I am permanently disabled) is a shock to your system. My pains would probably be worse (Manager of Accounting) and I know I would be in worse pains if I were to work.

    in the meantime, I would make sure you are seeing a good pain management specialist - I see a PHYSIATRISST PAIN MANAGEMENT DOC

    they will examine you, refer you to good spine specialist and will offer treatment options. this documentation will be helpful with your disability case showing you are still needing treatments etc.

    please keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
    There's also the problem of the six blackout months. I don't no how long you have te gainfully employ eyed to reset the clock, but once it is SSDI will not consider the first six months of your being out of work on disability for payment , not even retroactive. The six months is a type of filter they use.
    jselleck replied to trs1960's response:
    My friend Debbie on the Bipolar Support Page is a wiz about disability. She used to work with a group that helped people get bennifts. Her screen name is ddnos. Tell her Jessica sent you. She's a doll and should be able to help ya. If not, like Joy said, consult a good disability attorney. I was denied the first time and like many had to hire an attorney in order to get my benifts. Good luck.


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center