Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please help my daughter
cortneyjazz posted:
Hi there-

My now 16 year old had a spinal fusion and decompression when she was 14 from L4-S1. She now has 2 broken screws which happened within 2 months of her surgery. We have no idea how they broke and neither does the DR, the other 4 screws are fine. Since the breaking of the screws my daughters pain has gotten worse by the day. We are being told the pain is due to nerve damage from the broken screws. My daughter, as you can imagine, has had a horrible time dealing with these issues. She has had to be taken out of school and does not have a social life because of her horrible pain and limitations. I do not want to put her on pain meds if I can help it and so we have been doing everything else possible trying to get her reliefe. I just want my daughter to be a teenager. Her friends are at the mall and she is in bed because she can not stand, walk or sit for more than 5-10 mins at a time. I have had a hard time finding any groups she can join for kids her age that have chronic pain. does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks you so much before hand.

Fused_8_levels responded:
I think i would talk to my Dr. that done the surgery and discuss his opinion on doing a revision of the hardware. I have been very lucky and never had a problem with any of my fusions. si joints and s-1 to t-11 posterior

trs1960 responded:
If she is suffering debilitating pain from broken hardware impinging nerves and you won't let her have pain meds because your worried about opiads....you need to learn how damaging uncontrolled back pain is. You need to get a surgeon to fix her, but the trauma in the short term must be excruciatingly painful and it is cruel to not get her releif!

Tim

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center