Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back Brace
An_251474 posted:
A frind of mne's dad had his l4,5 fused and uses a back brace at night when sleeping. My doctor gave me the choice of having one or not. He said as long as I promise not to bend over or left to right he would'nt make me wear one. Now I am wondering if I should get one for just in case. Mu surgery will be the L3,4,5 on May 28th. Any thoughts?

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

You may want to further speak with your doctor about what the brace will/won't do for you.

I had L3-S1 fused and was put in a brace at all times I was OUT of bed for about two months. I think I was given a very restrictive brace(turtle shell) to slow me down. I know the day the doctor said I could start weaning myself off the brace in a few weeks, I left the appointment, returned to my car and took the thing off throwing it in the trunk. Not the best idea.

Talk further to your doctor. Are you likely to do what he says or ore you likely to push your healing and try to do things faster than you should?

my best to you.

di

bj1208 responded:
Hi Back Brace - welcome to the support group -

I agree with DianeR01 as you do need to discuss this with your surgeon. I had a single fusion (L5-S1) back in 2008 and I too wore the "Turtle Shell" back brace. However by the 2nd week post op I could not get up and walk and as it turns out the back part of the brace was cutting into the piriformus muscle (buttocks) and caused me to have more severe nerve damage. I was allowed to take the middle piece out as this was a wrap around brace on the inside and I wore this 24/7 for the first month. After that I was told I could wean myself off it. I tried and tried and my back pans were so bad that I continued to wear it during the day and I still wear it to this day~~

Everyone is different especially when it comes to healing etc. Your surgeon will know what will be best for you and your recovery period.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing during your recovery~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

trevor022 responded:
Hey An_251474
Did you call your doctor to get his recommendation on the brace? He will likely tell you if you actually need one or if he was just suggesting that you be careful. Are you a back or side sleeper? If you are a side sleeper you will pry need one more than if you are a back sleeper. Might be worth a shot to try out a Cybertech Medical back brace from BraceAbility.
Best of luck!

mvjourney responded:
Well it has now been 4 weeks since my L 3-5 fusion and I must say I feel great. The first week was hell but then I started feeling better and wanting to get out of the house. When I went to Post Op the Dr couldn't believe how good I looked after two weeks. The only problem I am having is a tingeling feeling in my left leg from the knee to ankle. He said we will watch and may do a MRI later on. He is letting me go to work for 4 hours three times a week, That is good but must say after four hours I am ready to go home. My next appointment is on July 15th and hope he will either increase the hours or go back to full time.
As far as the back brace went Iused it a lot the first two weeks and then hung it up and haven't used it sense.

Would I do this surgery again yes as I have no more back pain and feel great.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center