Skip to content
Hey All - Current MRI done - UGH!!!
bj1208 posted:
Well I finally talked my PA into having a current MRI done as the last one I had done was 11/2011. I have been telling her that something is wrong as my back pains are worse especially the L4 disc which it was discovered in an X-ray (2011) that the disc moves slightly over the L5 disc. this causes a crunching sound and it hurts.

Had the MRI done on 4/10/13 and just rec'd copy of written report - not a happy camper

Here are the findings:

L2-L3 - mild disc bulge

L3-L4 - mild disc bulge; central spinal canal is not significantly narrowed. there is no neuroforaminal stenosis. There is mild hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum. (means degenerative condition of spine where the tendons holding one vertebra to another thicken decreasing the amount of room available for spinal cord and the nerves that come off it. treatment is either anti-inflammatory meds and/or surgery which can recur).

L4-L5 - there is broad-based disc bulging which has developed since previous MRI (11/2011). Hypertrophy of he ligamentum flavum has progressed significantly. Hypertrophic facet arthropathy has progressed. There is moderate to severe central spinal stenosis. the functional diameter of the canal is approx 5 or 6mm compared with 1 cm on previous study. Bulging disc material and facet osteophyte contributes to moderate narrowing of the left neural foramen. there appears to be a developing subchondral cyst in the left lateral and inferior endplate of L4. there is approx 13 degrees of levoscoliosis in the lumbar spine. 4mm anterolisthesis has developed at L4-L5.

so my Lumbar spine is really messed up - the problems with L4 point to only treatment available will be a fusion - hate to think about having it done.

Thoracic Spine - no changes since last MRI - hemangioma in T9 are same. There is unchanged minor facet arthropathy at T11-T12 with small osteophyte formation which does not advanced relative to previous exam.

So there it is - tomorrow I will call and make appointment to see my spine surgeon to go over everything. I will keep you all posted~~
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Anon_12611 responded:
Hello Joy,
Unfortunately by now, you're probably one of a few lay persons who can actually interpret these results.

Do you know if it's just normal aging that has worsened things or was your spine aggravated some how?

Best of luck at the doctor's. Please keep us updated.

georgia

bj1208 replied to Anon_12611's response:
Hi Georgia -

Think you've read my story (click on name/pic) and know my history. I had the single fusion (L5-S1) done 2/08 and at that time I had small disc bulging at L4, L3, L2 and L1. Somehow the L4 disc was sliding over the L5 plate causing the crunch feeling. This went on for about a year (2010) and I was sent in 11/2011 for MRI and X-ray (flex and extension) the X-ray picked up the problem at L4 and it was suggested that we should watch it to see if it gets worse. Well it did get worse - extremely worse - going from a 1cm to a 4-5mm so this is a drastic change in a little over a years time.

Bad backs are hereditary on my mom's side of family. but the main fault is when I was younger I was bucked off several horses and always landed on the small of my back. Never went to doc etc to have it checked out but it showed its wrath when I got older and my disc blew when I was at grocery store and bent down to get a bag of sugar (was always active and also a 3rd degree brown belt in Martial Arts).

So I would have to say that having the fusion done did aggravate my back discs above (and below if fused in other places) and caused them to be unstable.

I will let u all know once i have seen the spine surgeons (will get more than one opinion!!)
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center