Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
muscle atrophy
Barjos posted:
I am also worried about this problem. I have had significant sciatica for last six months, which eases on sitting and gets worse when standing or walking. The pain eased up for several weeks in January and March but has been at its worst in last month. I have had a significant limp since January, even during periods of no pain.
I had been treating primarily by accupuncture and chiropractor (and pain meds when needed). A few weeks ago the accupunturist noticed that one leg was thinner than the other. I went to a pain md who found several signs of muscle loss including: can't stand on toes or heels, slight hammer toes, and measurable difference in calves and above ankles. He referred me to neurosurgeon who looked at an MRI I had done in December. The MRI showed a small herniated disc at L5-s1 and mild to moderate central canal stenosis, and scar tissue around nerve going down right leg. (I had failed laminectomy 19 years ago, but ultimately pain free for last 15 years from accup and exercise).
The pain doc thinks the nerve damage is due to the disc. The neuro surgeon does not thing so, and does not believe I am good candidate for surgery. Neither thinks the problem is the stenosis.
I am now in very significant pain whenever I walk more than very short distance or stand in one place for over two minutes.
Any ideas anyone?

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center