Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Broken lower back/missing L5 disc
    MamaB17 posted:
    I was in a car accident Feb. '08, started having trouble with my back and legs about a year later. Went to doctors and they continued to blame it on my "period" and blew me off. Finally found a new doctor who listened carefully and ordered xrays and mri. That's when we found my L5 was completely missing(obliterated) and the vertebrae was offset by about 50%. tried pain meds: 600mg IBUProfen, 500mg tylenol, 50mg-100mg tramadol, nothing works. So now I've been told that my only option is surgery,which is not guaranteed, steroid shots,again not guaranteed, or just deal. I am working part time to full time, raising a family, taking care of our household. It's getting harder every day to get around or even upright. But I have to do it. Doctors are once again blowing me off like I don't know what the h*** I'm talking about and I'm getting annoyed with it.
    Any ideas as to what I can do,if anything, to help ease my pain better? I can't take narcs so they r not an option. I just don't want to give up yet. Any information and ideas are greatly appreciated and welcomed. :)Thank you in advance for the advice.
    bj1208 responded:
    Hi MAMAB17 - welcome to the support group -

    Before deciding on surgery it's best to get several opinions from both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - must be sure they are Spine Specialist as there is a difference between them and just a surgeon. Spine Specialist are the only ones that can read film reports (MRI/CT Scan etc) accurately diagnose and offer treatment options.

    What you must understand is that there is no guarantee that any treatment plan, even surgery, will help. The most surgeons can do is hope to stabilize the spine and hope to reduce pains - my surgeon stated he could fix my disc problem by removing it and putting hardware in to stabilize the spine - he only hoped he could reduce pains - this did not happen and my pains are worse now and I also have nerve damage (click on my name or pic and read my story).

    You can also see a good pain management specialist - I see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist (see link) they go deeper into pain management control based on patients needs.

    please get more opinions and see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist - I think that is your best option.

    Please keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    try yoga for sure the positions and stretches help alot. u will feel relief but do not stop just continue doing it More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center